• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New (to me) Lyman Deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NepaShooter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So, this took a little longer than I intended, as I got smacked with a bunch of work projects that forced me to leave her in the safe shortly after bringing her home, but I finally have a few moments to share my new toy with you all.

Thanks to all of you for the copious information you've recorded here, that has only begun to teach me all the ins and outs of what this facet of shooting entails!

About two weeks ago, I made the trip down to Dixon's in Kempton, PA. It's practically in my backyard, so it was a no brainer to go there for their selection, customer service, and reputation! I only wish I had heard about it a week earlier, as I was down the road at Cabelas looking for what (paltry) muzzleloading offerings they had; could have saved myself a trip probably!

After doing some errands with the wife and kids, we drove down in the afternoon and arrived shortly before the Dixon's took their evening dinner break. With only an hour or so to go before they closed for a bit, I was prepared to dive right in after Greg was done helping another departing customer.

I had spoke with Greg on the phone inquiring what he had in stock, and he was generous enough to hold the one Lyman Deerstalker (.54) he had on consignment for me until the end of the week. After looking through the racks at many beautiful rifles I knew I could not afford, as soon as Greg was available, I wandered over to the counter and began a wonderful, insightful discussion as we talked over what my experience level was, and what I was looking to achieve as I dipped my toes into this foreign and mystical world of black powder.

After looking over the used rifle and feeling satisfied that it didn't look abused, (and honestly, I don't think the Dixon's would put something they couldn't comfortably stand behind on their shelves; they are just plain ol' good folk!) Greg helped me pick out all the accessories we'd need to complete my shooting experience. (powder, ball, patches, jag, range rod, measure, starter, pick, etc)

$500 later, I now owned my first black powder muzzleloader! Just in time for them to close up for their dinner break and for our family unit to head over to Dietrichs for some sundries before heading out for dinner. (noshing on some of their Pepperoni now... yummmmm)

When I got home, I quickly set to work familiarizing myself with every nook and cranny of the rifle (like I do all newly acquired guns... I think that it's just an excuse to fondle them though...) and did a gentle but thorough cleaning per the instructions I've read on here.

Took the lock out, and checked over the inletting area to make sure there was no interference. (there was) Carefully removed as minimal an amount of material where the main coil spring was rubbing to free it up. Also cleaned up the inletting fibers whereever the inletting drill bits had left hanging fibers or such so they wouldn't ever get hung up in the action. Lock action is nice and smooth now. Wish the trigger was the same, but after a bit of creep it breaks clean enough for what it is, so I'm content.

Scrubbed the lock throughly with soap and water as there was still powder residue in some cracks, which had unfortunately left a little surface rust. After cleaning and oiling it was looking a thousand percent better, so I was satisfied and moved on.

The barrel had some outside surface rust and light pitting around the vent hole and a little further up near the front sight post, so I cleaned that all off with 0000 steel wool soaked in oil to get the majority of it off. Once lightly oiled, it is hard to see unless you look for it specifically, so I'm content. The bore itself was in great shape, so that was a big load off my shoulders. (generally I read the barrel seems to be the thing in worst shape on used muzzleloaders)

Lastly, I gave the stock a light stripping as there was a build up of crud on it to the point that you couldn't see the wood grain very well. After a few (too many) hours working the stock, I could see grain nicely again. Down the road, I may get the burr up my butt and strip the stock down fully, and then put a fresh linseed oil rubbed finish on it, but for now, I just want this to be a 'shooter'. Especially since this is my first muzzle loader and even with my being my usual OCD careful self, I will invariably make mistakes that might damage it.

So far, this reinforces my thoughts that I made exactly the right choice; buying this used Deerstalker lets me explore, shoot, not worry about damaging an expensive rifle, or having to worry about being HC/PC in the process. Bottom line, I think this will be the most direct line to 'fun' that I can get in a rocklock!

Down the road, when I've progressed past being a beginner, I'll think about something more HC/PC as I'm still in awe with some of the craftsmanship that's out there!

I will post pics later tonight, once I figure out someplace to host them.

E.

Sounds to me that you are well on your way to having some fun times.
Great to read where someone is using common sense and not hurrying to do something w/o thinking it through.
Now....go shoot and make white smoke. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you got a start in BP like a lot of us did. The fun part is to see where the hobby takes you in the coming years!

Smart move, I started with a lyman great plains than added a deer stalker, now that I went to using them exclusively for last two years, I sold one of them and a few rifles and now am getting a custom made, time to upgrade. Gotta make sure you are dedicated enough to go all the way otherwise it could be an expensive mistake. Enjoy hopefully you get hooked!

Ok, here's the new toy!

Hope it was a fair deal at $350... (too late now anyhow... it's mine and I won't ever give it up :haha: )

92AD5B29-CD93-4D71-9121-5147C3AAE46E-2772-0000028AAEF6C091_zpsa20e6e20.jpg

C11A8E7A-1633-4AC3-B81C-2D34E6A748AE-2772-0000028B20540418_zpsa6fa7a9f.jpg

575cc459-557e-40d5-ae3f-5d471ff5c503_zpscdd34a0b.jpg

6252140B-E10C-454D-B6E9-EAB2F3D26DEE-2772-0000028B7FBF102A_zpseda145ad.jpg

1D8F08AD-5097-49B5-B083-2C21F2DC22C6-2772-0000028D27855BD9_zpsa23df8d4.jpg

BD921D44-ECD6-4736-9C67-60D9564700A6-2772-0000028E261A3CDA_zps5d584fd3.jpg

13FC0100-5059-4573-A47D-B752DF1B8F98-2772-0000028C31878F62_zpsd60ab826.jpg

EBD2E5D0-3E7A-4636-AE4E-513C69681F68-2772-0000028BB8F546C7_zpsc9046d70.jpg

83A70752-CDFB-47B7-A469-31F45E78461C-2772-0000028F1ABD463E_zpsf52e0b7c.jpg

Back