• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hey Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
After seeing this video, what took me 5 months to make my first one. Looks like I could do this is 1-2 weekend.
I would say this is impeccably built.

Here is my question.

Can you have an option to NOT have the rear dovetail cut?
Us old gas bags would have to cut a second dovetail further down the barrel?

Also does the stock already inletted for the nose cap. Some of us dont use them.

Last edited:
Woodsrunner and Colonials are inlet for nose caps. Give them a call about the dovetail, probably the easiest way to find out. If they won't do it I've read a couple of folks say having the rear sight on backwards makes a difference. Good luck!

Im looking at the Southern, and it has no nose piece. And iron furniture.
All my favorites. Not liking the hole in the stock for a patch recess.

not produce custom builds.
These are very custom guns.
Not cutting a dovetail should be an easy thing to do. Unless the barrel comes from the barrel maker already cut.
So I wanted to know how much lead time they would need not to cut the dovetail.
I will email them when I get closer to the buy date.

Good luck but it is worth a try. He addressed the very thing you want (custom requests) in one of his Q&A vids. They are too busy and have too much on their plate to take on special requests and have to turn them down constantly. He did say that at some point he does want to be able to accommodate such requests but as of yet is not able too.

Not cutting a dovetail should be an easy thing to do.

You would think so, but it's probably more complicated than that. The sight dovetails are more than likely done in the same machine that does the rest of the profiling. Changing that one little item should be easy enough, but does a company that busy want to pay their programmer to go through who knows how many lines of G code to omit it for one barrel? Or worse, have the operator do it manually at the machine and risk incorrectly entering something that at best costs him extra time or at worst crashes the machine breaking tooling and possibly wrecking that one barrel?

Not cutting a dovetail should be an easy thing to do. Unless the barrel comes from the barrel maker already cut.
So I wanted to know how much lead time they would need not to cut the dovetail.
I will email them when I get closer to the buy date.
Tri-sided file and 10 minutes of your time.

When I ordered my SMR kit a couple years ago I specifically asked Jim if I could get a barrel with no rear dovetail. Answer was "No." Period. Maybe that's changed, but I doubt it. If he starts making exceptions, then pretty soon his business model becomes inefficient.

It's very easy to fill a dovetail and put a new one where you want it...or order a kit from a different supplier that has more ability to customize your build, like Pecatonica.

Problem with custom one off items…after ordering and even paying a deposit sometimes buyers seem to drop off the face of the planet leaving the seller stuck with something that may never sell to someone else.

Latest posts

Back