• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E.Boyd

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been working on getting my smoothbore ready for hunting seasion. ".62 cal Reclaim." Built from scrounged Brown Bess parts (buttplate & triger guard)38" brl.,L&R Queen Ann lock. With lines of fowler. Kinda make do,grungy lookin.

Question is what loads you folks use in your .62s for deer?

E.Boyd - Cadiz ,Ky

I always limit my shots to around 60 yards. I know that I can put 9-10 shots in a pie plate at that range offhand so I feel comfortable. I use 75g of 2F and .600 patched RB.

Range is everything with a moothbore, the longer the shot... the more powder you need to keep the ball stable. When it drops below a certain speed, it tend to knuckle and it could go anywhere. When I shoot in the Territorials at the 100y target, I use 100g of 2F.... It a little something special touching that off in a fowler that weighs about 7 powder. It rattles you teeth.

SP

I shoot 80 grains of FFG and a .600 ball with pillow ticking. Can't abide high recoil of 100 grains. 50 yards is about it for me with the 20 ga as I have no rear sight.

Back