• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New smooth bore to me.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt2bowhunter

32 Cal
Reaction score
Not sure if this goes here or on the hunting forum. If I’m in the wrong place please move it.

I got my gun to fire today it gave me fits lol. Water under the bridge now. Any way I got straight to the pattern board. After doing a ton of reading. I tried a plastic wad first. Wasn’t nuts about what I saw I had a huge donut almost as bad as when I tested it with the rifling still in it.

So I jumped straight to Sky Chiefs load. Using what I had on hand. I used 3 over shot cards then the shot then one shot card then a wonder wad soaked olive oil. I was using 60grs of 777.

Not but to the right and still looked open in the middle. I shot again confirmed my sights needed to come up and to the left. I’m adjusted the sights and hung another big Paper and Turkey target.

This time I keep the 1 oz of #7 nickel plated shot and dropped my powder charge to 55grs. Same cards and wonder wad. And I shot this at 20 yds.

So what do you think.

Attachments

• 3ABD3E63-14AC-4946-96AD-31317C54A16F.jpeg
    3ABD3E63-14AC-4946-96AD-31317C54A16F.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 54
I think that there's a pretty good chance that you'll likely have some wounded game @ 20yds, and missed game @40yds.

Your pattern issue may be due to using too many different wads - I used a 28ga shot cup in my 56SB with a single over shot wad, and the patterns were fairly even.

Not sure if this goes here or on the hunting forum. If I’m in the wrong place please move it.

I got my gun to fire today it gave me fits lol. Water under the bridge now. Any way I got straight to the pattern board. After doing a ton of reading. I tried a plastic wad first. Wasn’t nuts about what I saw I had a huge donut almost as bad as when I tested it with the rifling still in it.

So I jumped straight to Sky Chiefs load. Using what I had on hand. I used 3 over shot cards then the shot then one shot card then a wonder wad soaked olive oil. I was using 60grs of 777.

Not but to the right and still looked open in the middle. I shot again confirmed my sights needed to come up and to the left. I’m adjusted the sights and hung another big Paper and Turkey target.

This time I keep the 1 oz of #7 nickel plated shot and dropped my powder charge to 55grs. Same cards and wonder wad. And I shot this at 20 yds.

So what do you think.
Proof is in the pudding. Your target shows 9ish kill hits. That is about the minimum for one shot proof. No less than five in one shot ever and average 7 over several shots minimum. The only consideration is #7 may not hit hard enough. I’d try the tin can test to make sure penetration is good (which it may well at 20yds). If so then I think you’re Golden.

Here’s my hole shot pattern out of about 295 ish pellets. I have 285 in a 30 inch circle. Being as the Turkey target is is on a 11x 8.5” piece of paper and has 106 hits in well inside the gold standard of 100 pellets in a 10” circle at 20 yds.

This was only my 4th shot. And I will probably tweak my stack at a latter date. But I see a dead Gobbler. I agree I have a small donut hole that I need to close up.
I don’t see many rabbits squirrels or gobblers surviving this. If you would please post your 28 gauge targets. That might be a great help.

Attachments

• 9CF95342-721A-4DB6-B49A-1F918FBC08C1.jpeg
    9CF95342-721A-4DB6-B49A-1F918FBC08C1.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 35
I'll let the turkey experts weigh in on this being a good pattern, but for other small game, its a good pattern. Dont worry about a donut hole when hunting small game as that is only a two dimension target and doesnt take into account the shot string unless you are shooting a fully stationary target. And that hole will move do a different area on your next shot. Now I will say, with that pattern, you know the maximum range to shoot small game with your gun.

The reason I used that stack was through my searching,i found Sky Chiefs load to get pretty high prase. And it was made a sticky at the top of this very page. Now i didn't have a nitro card and i'm not really sure if its heavier or just stiffer than my over shot cards or maybe both. I have never had any. So i substituted 3 or 2 shotcards in its place. This may have been wrong, I'm learning as i go.

So powder then shot cards then shot then one shot card then a fiber wad (wonder wad) soaked in olive oil. It shot. And it shot as you seen.

Its a cylinder bore 28 gauge. From what i have read it's not a 30, 40 yd shotgun anyway.

Using a Encore 45/410 pistol with 410 shotgun shells for Turkeys. It has been found because of the short range your limited to hunting. Your better off using 7,8 and some have used 9 shot and killed Gobblers. The thinking is and i agree at close range the more shot you hit the head and neck with the better off you will be. I found this to hold water killing squirrels with my 45/410 7.5 shot inside 20 yds = dead squirrels. When i tried 4 shot it depended on luck. If a 4 shot hit it in the kill zone i got it if not it ran off. Or i had to get much closer. Also 6 shot was not as good as 7.5 shot out of that 410.

So that's why i chose 7 shot. Possibility 9 shoot TSS will be used as i have some of it. But that will mean using the wad and mylar wrap. And expense of finding a load TSS aint cheap. And i'm kinda getting away from the hole idea of using the 28ga in the first place. But we will see. Anyway i wasn't just slinging stuff against the wall to see what would stick.

Any and all advice and tips welcome.

Latest posts

Back