• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New show Iron and Fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Boylan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was watching Forged in fire last night on the History channel and they had a commercial for a new show similar to Forged in Fire called Iron and Fire. From what I could tell from the very short commercial it looks like it will be a "competition" show with various blacksmiths and it looks like they will be building flintlocks and cannons. Not sure if every episode will be on building these, but it did look pretty interesting.

Forged in Fire is a pretty good show with knife makers making various blade designs and then having the experts testing them for how well they are made.

Just thought some here might want to check this out. It premiers on April 11th. I've not been able to find much about it on the web.

Here's link to info:
http://www.hollywood.com/tv/iron-fire-60555883/

Does sound interesting and worth checking out.

Says an Ozark wilderness fellow and family forging primitive weapons, reality show.

Quote from site "The result is a jaw-dropping array of exploding targets, speeding bullets, and razor sharp knives."

Probably be running for president in a couple years :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, I used to like and watch shows of this nature, on Discovery and the History Channel that just stuck to the topic, ie. forging, and didn't delve into the personal drama and hype. Guess I don't feel the need for any extra drama in my life.

I still watch them, if the topical content is there, and do my best to ignore the rest. If that's what it takes to get more folks interested in stuff like our hobby, so be it. :idunno:

I agree. I want to see the work being done and the results not the drama acted out by someone in the competition. When the shows start getting to involved in that I tune them out.

I've had a couple of shows that started out enjoyable but they soon focused on the whining and complaining of the various makers and they got way off track. I want to see their skills not hear their complaints about building things.

That's why I still like the Woodwright shop, even though I have to watch on line
A show that actually shows doing it old style.

its actually a really good show. Im not much of a knife person but its cool to watch them make this stuff. Some guys/girls dont have a clue what they are doing, but its easy to spot the good ones.

It does show the difference in the bladesmiths skill. I met the winner of this weeks show years ago and he was a master Smith then. His competitors didn't really stand a chance,but, that's what drive the ratings...

zimmerstutzen said:
That's why I still like the Woodwright shop, even though I have to watch on line
A show that actually shows doing it old style.

Is that the fellow that used to be on PBN that made and used period woodworking tools? If so, even though I am not really into woodworking outside of gunstocks, that show was still fascinating to me. :thumbsup:

Yes, I find that even thought the Forged in Fire does have a little too much drama sometimes, it is still fun to watch a good knife maker ply his skills.

The woodworking show is great to watch. The guy who's been doing it seems to have been doing that show for longer than I can remember, but he is great to watch.

Roy Underhill has been doing the PBS Woodwright Shop for 35 years. He recently did a show which demonstrated how straight boards were bent into angles for coffins and such. It never occurred to me that such a method existed other than steam bending

anyone watch Iron & Fire and if so, what did ya think?

I thought the "poor boy rifle" as pretty good but the history lesson not so much.

I liked it. I think it should have been more about the making of the gun/knife and less about the bee hives or the old dude with the white beard who has to tell stories.

I hope they don't go down the path of having to have the one guy who annoys everyone.

The rifle was really interesting and they could have filled up an hour with just that. :grin:

Daniel Casey was the fellow whom the show is based on at this time, I found it interesting that he apparently apprenticed or worked with Herschel House, I like the ideal that it is a family based show showing the aspects that are important to Mr. Casey and his family values. It is evident that he knows his stuff and is willing to go the extra step such as the visit to the museum to research the bowie knife. I did not care for the related information on the knife. I was always under the impression that the original knife of Jim Bowie was a contested issue as to its where abouts. As with this type of entertainment we must remember not all whom watch are as knowledgeable about such things as presented. So there must be some lee way as to production. All in all it drives some historical enlightenment into a family oriented entertainment show, Lets hope it will not become free for all as other shows have in the past. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

I found it very disappointing to be kind. It was too busy, too much hype over fact, too little of real history, and though he knows how to shape with a forge, anvil, and hammer, he clearly knows little about heat treating a knife blade. I was also amazed when he dry fired that cap lock with nothing protecting the nipple, and had to dismantle the entire rifle in order to remove the triggers. He was very lucky that he did not break wood getting the triggers out the way he did. A few applications of heat from a soldering iron on the trigger plate should have broken the epoxy bond holding them in, without having to wail on them with a hammer as he did. Would at least have been worth a try first. Sorry, but in a star rating, I'd give it a two of five, at best.

IowaShooter said:
I liked it. I think it should have been more about the making of the gun/knife and less about the bee hives or the old dude with the white beard who has to tell stories.

I hope they don't go down the path of having to have the one guy who annoys everyone.

The rifle was really interesting and they could have filled up an hour with just that. :grin:

Same here. I am pleased to see this type of show, but they don't have to spend so many minuets of footage on bee removal, lunch time, and only a few seconds on actual gun making.
He is young, give him a break. He definitely has a passion few others have
for this type of skills.

Really Wick,All I saw was light taps with a very small brass hammer, he even stated that there was the possibility of breakage where the mortise was for the triggers. perhaps the fellow was attempting to stay with in historical guide lines of the period . Sure there were soldering irons around during the time maybe he just didn't think of it. Or perhaps there is as the old saying goes more than one way to skin a cat. As to tempering knife blades I will take your word for it.

Back