• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
At our last club match we had a couple of fellows walk up and start asking questions. These guys are in their twenties and had some knowledge that they had gathered else where. All the club members talked to them at different levels as the match ran. They seemed to take interest in me and I think it was because I loaded from the pouch with out a vehicle or bench. After my last target I offered them to shoot my rifle at a spot on the berm. Each in turn where very attentive to my instructions and hit the mark offhand. After the results of the match and general gabbing concluded they where still around and I offered them my number should they have more questions. This week a call came in from one and he explained that they had each bought a rifle and some gear. A source for more caps was the issue at hand. I helped out and he said see you at the next shoot!

A follow up on the new guys. They both showed up at the monthly match and shot in the match! They had a few issues that where dealt with and agreed that this is a game they can enjoy. One had a TC Hawken in 50 calibre and the other had the vastly better TC Hawken in 54 calibre! Both rifles looked new so they’re out there.

Very Important Phil. Especially for younger folks who can carry on the
sport and passion. Many older folks got their start with the Davy Crocket
and Daniel Boone films of the 50's and 60's. Out of the cowboy era more
were born into the love of these older guns. Today that is less evident.
There is a need to focus on young folks and to welcome them into this
unique passion and following. Great Job Phil.

A follow up on the new guys. They both showed up at the monthly match and shot in the match! They had a few issues that where dealt with and agreed that this is a game they can enjoy. One had a TC Hawken in 50 calibre and the other had the vastly better TC Hawken in 54 calibre! Both rifles looked new so they’re out there.
OUTSTANDING!

Well done!

I've got a fellow, same 20s age group, who's in his second year and who's engaged a few other in shooting traditional muzzleloaders. He killed elk two years in a row using a patched roundball.

As far as I know he's not competed in any matches yet, nor have I for several years, but my guess is it's only a matter of time. The guy is a crack shot with a rifle, he's been shooting since a boy, (modern guns). I'm going to try to get him and his buddies to shoot an informal match next visit. Not sure if I can make that happen but I'll try.

He had the same problem finding components, powder and caps, so I sold him a couple pounds of the black stuff along with 200 caps. He's since found powder and caps on his own, which we all know takes a dedicated effort these days.

Last edited:
At our last club match we had a couple of fellows walk up and start asking questions. These guys are in their twenties and had some knowledge that they had gathered else where. All the club members talked to them at different levels as the match ran. They seemed to take interest in me and I think it was because I loaded from the pouch with out a vehicle or bench. After my last target I offered them to shoot my rifle at a spot on the berm. Each in turn where very attentive to my instructions and hit the mark offhand. After the results of the match and general gabbing concluded they where still around and I offered them my number should they have more questions. This week a call came in from one and he explained that they had each bought a rifle and some gear. A source for more caps was the issue at hand. I helped out and he said see you at the next shoot!
That is one of the best stories I've read on this site. Kudos to you. Semper Fi.

Back