• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter12

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, All. New the forum. I would like to buy a flint lock rifle to use for deer hunting and occasional use for reenacting in my area in Maryland,and Pa. 1750's to 1820's. I don't have a lot of money to spend about $700 to maybe $1000. What would be a Factory made rifle that would be of decent quality to buy. I can't afford a custom made rifle now. Thank's. :confused:

hunter12 said:
...about $700 to maybe $1000....I can't afford a custom made rifle now.
Can't advise you on specific rifles, but you will likey find a fine array of possibilities in that price range in used custom rifles. I point that out because most factory rifles are pretty generic in period, while the customs are often very true to a period, school or style.

I know this won't help a whole lot, but don't be surprised if someone comes along and tells you that it depends on the specific time frame you want within your range, your specific "persona" that you are trying to portray, etc.

If it was me, and if I was in a hurry, I would get a Pedersoli Blue Ridge in .54 that Cabela's has on sale right now for $550, which leaves you a bit of money left over for flints, a mold, etc, but a Brown Bear said, it is a bit generic and there will be some "HC/PC nazi" that will point out all the things wrong with it to you. But that rifle at least gets you a good gun to hunt with and seems at least close to what you would need to re-enact your desired time frame, even if it isn't "perfect". If you want "perfect" and aren't in a hurry, I would say set aside the money you have and save a bit more to get something more correct. But that is only if you are a real stickler for everything historical having to be absolutely perfect. Personally, I'd rather get out in the woods with something acceptable now and then worry about perfecting things later, but if you ever run into me in the woods, I'm liable to be wearing blue jeans while carrying my Lyman GPR, so there's a lot of camps I wouldn't be welcome in.

Welcome to the addiction! :hatsoff:

You may enter my camp anytime. I'll be the one in bright red shorts, a T-shirt and my wal-mart shooting bag hanging on the mirror of the car/truck! Bring a beer :thumbsup:

2nd the Blue ridge (or similar). You'll be getting many more soon enough, stop wasting time fighting the urge, arm yerself and shoot!

Keep looking on the 'Net. I see used semi-custom rifles for 900 to 1000 dollars from time to time. Keep looking on the muzzleloading and/or blackpowder sites. They usually have a "classifieds" section where members sell and trade. You can fine "poorboy" rifles that have quality locks, barrels and triggers with very little decoration that will fit the bill.

While it might stretch the $1000 upper limit just a little bit, you might try calling Tip Curtis to see what he has for an "in-the-white" rifle that might meet your needs. Tip does a really nice job for very reasonable costs.

Contact Information
Tip Curtis
Tip Curtis Frontier Shop
4445 Jernigan Rd.
Cross Plains,Tn.37049
Phone: 615-654-4445

Although I do intend to make a long rifle at some point I too use the production guns. Some have as little as 21" barrels with ball twist and are no where near HC by any means. They still bring home the steaks if an opportunity presents itself.

They are just tools to get the job done in my opinion. Black powder and flint ignition is all I care about for our flint season. Load her up and go hunt and don't worry about what someone else thinks. I tried all the projectiles and ended up right back where I started and that's the patched ball. No intent on looking at anything else again.

Thank's all. Cabelas sounds good, plus i'll follow up on the other recomendations.

For the time period that you are looking at and the location, I would want a John Armstrong style.

I bought a John Armstrong (Style), that needed refinishing, for less than $400.

Being in Maryland, you might be close to either Chambersburg Pa. or even close enough to Dixon's in Kempton Pa. You might find what you're looking for. If you're anywhere near the Cabalas in Pa. then Dixon's is about 15 miles away.

Do not know where in Maryland you are located but it may be worth your effort to see Jim at Ft. Chambers muzzle loading shop. It is located north of Chambersburg on interstate 81 off the Scotland exit. Neat shop and plenty of weapons usually on consignment, or he can direct you towards a local pa. builder whom may be of assistance.

Thank's RC. I live in North East, Md. I think that town is about 1 to 1 1/2 hrs from me. That's a good lead.

historical correct, ba humbug. unless you try to show up with and inline you are welcome anywhere I have got. you get the best rifle you can afford.
me finances required I dissolve my custom guns. I now use a cva bobcat and just acquired a t/c 56 ca. renedage.

Check the Public Events section and do some online searching for a gun makers fair. These are the best places to see a lot of guns. You will find used custom and semi custom guns in good shape within the $700-$1000 range. You will get to put the rifle to your shoulder and see if it is what you want to shoot. You will also meet a lot of fine folks who share your interest. Best of luck! :thumbsup: - John

It looks like the Blue Ridge is your best bet. Next down the list would be any of the Pedersoli longrifles. Followed by T/C or Lyman.

I would avoid the CVA and Traditions flintlocks.

The rationale for my ordering is giving weight to both lock reliability and period correctness to the dates you gave.

Some things to consider with a flintlock: reliable ignition depends on good lock geometry, proper steel, and genuine black powder. With a caplock the manufacturer only needs to make the hammer hit the cap with enough force. A flintlock is much more intricate.

So while you can get satisfaction with a cheap caplock, a flintlock by the same company may be more headache than it needs to be. For that reason when I decided to go with a flintlock deer gun I went semicustom (with a Chamber's lock). My first flint was a Pedersoli .32 which was great fun on the squirrels, but not dependable enough for my deer hunting.

How dependable is the lock on the blue ridge.I'v heard you have to drill out the touch hole a bit.Only flint lock i'v had experiance with was the Cabin creek york town i had. It worked all the time but it had a siler lock. But that's the past.

Some guys look down their noses at the factory guns; snobs, in other words. I've taken lots of deer with various cheapy Traditions, CVAs and a Pedersoli. They get the job done! A generic flint from Pedersoli is not a bad choice. A good used flint is, of course, better but not necessary.

Nothing really wrong with the Blue Ridge Hunter when it comes to mechanical. I'm going to buy one in .54 in a couple of days to use when doing battle reenactments, as I don't want to destroy my expensive Cabin Creek rifle just shooting blanks.

Cosmetically it's wrong, but you can change a little or a lot, or nothing at all and one day if you get a more historic looking repro, relegate the factory rifle to busting brush, or as a loaner or backup rifle.
:idunno:

I had one in .50 in the past. What I did was remove the case coloring from the lock, and changed the ramrod thimbles over to something that looked "better". I swapped out the rear sight from the buckhorn to something simpler, AND I swapped out the front sight to a thin, silver one, to get the best accuracy. Once I learned how to keep the patent breech clean and clear, she was excellent in function and accuracy. I always swap out the ramrod, as for some reason the Italian, wooden ramrods are always very fragile.

LD

The lock on my Blue Ridge .50 caliber is extremely reliable. I also own a Cabin Creek Yorktown and my Blue Ridge is just as reliable as that rifle. Maybe even more so as I don't pick my touch hole with it as I need to do with my Cabin Creek. I'm not a real stickler on the HC thing so I enjoy the Pedersoli for what it is. Greg. :)

One of my late season flintlocks has a synthetic stock and fiber optic sight.. You can come to the outcast camp with me.. Guns and knives are the one thing ppl become snobbish about.. Its your money and if you buy something you dont really like you wont shoot it.. I hunt squirrels with bp shotguns because its fun and forces ya to slowdown but i take manure for it everyday.. I just do what i enjoy screw the snobs. Buy a decent gun practice alot you will find you will shoot and hunt more with a cheaper gun that your not afraid to get wet or muddy..

Back