• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New rifle. Some assembly required.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman56

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well guys I got the rest of my parts today now the fun begins. Never owned a flinter before so this should be doubly interesting. Wish me luck since it's all y'alls fault I decided I was missin something by not having a flinchlock.

101_0272.jpg

I have learned a lot about who I am in 62 years, and I know I have no patience or skills to do such a thing and have it turn out the way I'd demand that it did.

And I'll give you a round of applause ahead of time for taking up the challenge!
:applause: :thumbsup:

Bless you boy fer tryin it! braver than I! seems to me patience is the biggest plus to buildin,,an i think this forum with the wealth of accessable knowledge on here is a close second! good luck! and keep us informed! :thumbsup:

I just got to say this...I see all sorts of abnormalities with his new rifle...the forearm is all squareed off, not round and smooth like it should be...the barrel seems like it was stretched so much it got thin in the middle...there's no vent hole to be seen...loose parts laying around everywhere...and this is supposed to be a new unfired rifle?
:shake:

That will make a dandy rifle. Just take your time, study the gunbuilding books and watch that building DVD, ask a few questions, and you won't go wrong.

Good luck! Measure twice & cut once. Measure three times before drilling and double check the bit size. ;-)

Take your time and have fun.

And, most importantly of all, KEEP US POSTED ON THE PROGRESS! In the Gun Building sub-forum, of course. ;-)

:thumbsup: lucky you im working my self up for one. lots of pics. please. :thumbsup:

Hey,that looks like fun. I'm currently enjoying a pistol kit. Please DO keep us updated.
Flinter987

Hey Roundball, the vent hole's right there. Can't you see it? It's layin on the table in front of the trigger assembly. :haha: It is for sure the strangest lookin barrel that's ever been in my house but I can guarantee it's never been fired. There does seem to be an abundance of parts doesn't there? I wonder how many I'll have left over. :hmm:
One thing I do know, 20 years ago I would have messed this up had I tried to do it. Since moving to Texas I seem to have developed a considerable amount of patience and I've found that "sometimes" goes a long ways to help make up for a considerable lack of skill. I will keep y'all posted and thanks for your comments.

Not a gun yet, but I am sure it will be! Congrats on taking the plunge :thumbsup:

I have had two GPR kit guns, that I let go down the road, because I decided I was not ready, and had other obligations.

There will come a time for me to take on this exact task in my life, as I have not done it yet.

It is great to see someone other than myself take the plunge so I can have something to reference.

Please keep us all posted on this adventure.

How did you come to the decision on this particular flinter? What kit is it?

Myself am leaning towards a French Fusil, or Indian Trade gun.

I see a table full of many pleasant hours but seeing I don't "look" at times....where's the trigger guard? Good luck....Fred

Forearm squared off.... I bet that's a new design feature that helps you keep it level when shooting from a bench :rotf:
Larry

It isn't really a kit although most of the parts did come from TOTW. I've been gathering up the parts for a while to confuse my bride as to how much I've actually spent. :grin: It is an Isaac Haines style stock with a 38" Colerain B profile in .45 calibre. I am going to put more drop in the stock at the heel, a little cast off and a narrower buttplate. I don't care for the big wide buttplate on the original and I am not making any effort to make this a PC rifle. As for the triggerguard I haven't found one I really like yet and I may wind up building my own.

I have faith you can do it. You invested in the kit, make that a great investment, and have fun with it. As a friend put it when I built my first rifle, "Take your time, and remove only what wood isn't in a gun". The BIG thing I learned most is, if you feel rushed or in a hurry. Stop and go do something else, before you make a mistake. But then you also learn how to fix mistakes. (Like the time I drilled the hole three times for a patch box release.)
If I can build one from a block of wood, anyone can. My rifles just aren't as pretty as others, but I am still working on that. Just take your time and think two or three steps ahead, before cutting or drilling, and measure everything.
Good luck. Leon

Mountainman56 said:
I am going to put more drop in the stock at the heel, a little cast off and a narrower buttplate. I don't care for the big wide buttplate on the original and I am not making any effort to make this a PC rifle. As for the triggerguard I haven't found one I really like yet and I may wind up building my own.

I would be careful in trying to modify the stock to provide more drop and cast off. Though there is some extra wood on these precarves, there usually isn't enough wood to change drop or cast off without radically changing the architecture. IMHO, I would go with what you have, rather than take a large chance on messing up a nice stock.

There are other ways to change drop and cast off without removing wood, BTW.

Also, IMHO, you need to acquire a trigger guard before you start the build. Each part forms a relationship with every other part, so missing one part of a diminsional relationship will really screw with the finished look of your new gun.

Good luck,
J.D.

That's the way Johnny Cash did, got it one piece at a time! Hope all goes well for you and let us see it when you are done. :thumbsup:

With pre-inlet locks, Mark your desired vent position, on the barrel, or even install the vent. install the lock first, before the barrel, and fit the barrel position, and vent, to the lock. Just the reverse of scratch building. If you install the lock after getting the barrel set, things may not line up, and you may not be able to change them without creating a mess.

Back