• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Remmie range report part2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himem777

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to the local range this morning with my old Uberti, had a chain fire (third one) witch kicked back the hammer and planted it firmly in my thumb. Ouch :cursing: It is my nipples (number 10 CCI/Remington) the caps pop off and I do not catch it. Ok so I am bleeding.... time to go home, but hey its ok my replacement Pietta 5.5 Remington is to come in today, so life is good right. NO! The replacement is not fully machined, so the loading rod dose not go into the cylinder more than 6mm. :confused: :confused: Oh well there goes another week.

Wow. How does the chainfire blow the hammer back? Was it always this problematic?

This was the first time it put the hammer back to half cock. It also happed on the one of the few times I did not ware gloves. :redface:

hey troy, i got one of the rem 5.5 last week and mine wasnt a good fit either the loading rod seemed to ride on the bottom of the cylinders instead of more to the center as you would think! also seems to shoot a little high but that might just be me? the blueing was nice but it was soaked in oil in a plastic bag which made the grips almost black! now if i could just find a crossdraw holster that wasnt made for a 8 incher i would be happy mike :hmm:

Matchlock72 said:
Went to the local range this morning with my old Uberti, had a chain fire (third one) witch kicked back the hammer and planted it firmly in my thumb. Ouch :cursing: It is my nipples (number 10 CCI/Remington) the caps pop off and I do not catch it. Ok so I am bleeding.... time to go home, but hey its ok my replacement Pietta 5.5 Remington is to come in today, so life is good right. NO! The replacement is not fully machined, so the loading rod dose not go into the cylinder more than 6mm. :confused: :confused: Oh well there goes another week.

Treso nipples and #10 Remington caps. I use that setup for all 6 of my C&B revolvers. It should be a nice fit that won't fall off. If for some reason you ever have a loose fit. Squeeze the cap until it fits tight. Don't put on a loose cap. I'm sure you understand why now.

Chain fires don't come from the chambers. They come from the caps.

east texas said:
hey troy, i got one of the rem 5.5 last week and mine wasnt a good fit either the loading rod seemed to ride on the bottom of the cylinders instead of more to the center as you would think! also seems to shoot a little high but that might just be me? the blueing was nice but it was soaked in oil in a plastic bag which made the grips almost black! now if i could just find a crossdraw holster that wasnt made for a 8 incher i would be happy mike :hmm:

All C&B revolvers shoot high. They're sighted in for 75 yds. Just like the originals.

guess i better back up! was trying out at 30 yds can the sight be altered a little? i cant imagine needing a shot at 75 hell i cant even see that far :rotf:

Their targets were men and horses. So, 75 yds isn't a bad range back then.

I put taller front sights on my Colts, but the Remingtons are already pretty tall. I don't remember how my Remingtons used to shoot. I seem to remember them shooting closer to zero than the Colts.

Easy cure is to take a 6 Oclock hold.

My bluing was poor also but I am not really a complainer. I got a cheap holster made of nylon at my local ACE. Its made by GunMate, and it is generic, but it works.

Good advice Capper, I will just change the nipples. I figure the are a little easier than changing a thumb. :grin: Like you others have recommended the Trenso nipples for other reasons. So Ill get them. Thanks Again.

Ps In some spaghetti westerns I saw as a kid I remember the cowboys wearing gloves. It dose not sound like a bad habit to get into like wearing glasses.

Besides a better fit. They have a smaller flash hole. So, they don't blow back as much. Which keeps the cap from blowing off the nipple. This will also depend on the load. Bigger load will of course blow back more.

I use max loads, because I love blowing smoke on the non BP shooters. :)

I do have shields soldered on to prevent the caps from falling in the action. CAS shooting is all about speed, and I can't afford a cap clogging the action.

Even with the Treso nipples if you get a cap that doesn't fit tight. Give a squeeze for a tighter fit.

Cowboys that could afford them had leather gloves, a near necessity in their line of work. As far as gun handling they eliminate the sweat factor on warm days. Not that your hands don't still sweat, the gloves provide a barrier so you maintain a firm grip. Protect from cap shards and "hammer blowback" :wink:

yea i guess ill try aiming a little lower i thought it might of been the shorter barrell and the same sights they put on the 8 inch barrels or;more than likley its a short between the seat and handlebars :rotf:

On the frame. Imagine a shield that would guide the cap away from the action, and let it drop to the side like it's designed to do.

Wish I could post pictures, but my camera and computer don't get along.

Back