• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time out, range report. '58 Rem.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so I'm glad I'm not the only person familiar with these German caps. They worked GREAT. Now, does anybody know where to get them? I have no idea where the tin I found came from.

I'm going to let mykeal answer that question since he also lives in your state. He may have a better idea of the geography involved in driving to pick some up so as to avoid the hazmat charge incurred during shipping caps.

All the best!

Dave

Even just firing caps means a trip to the range for me.
Living in an apartment is no fun sometimes.
That's going to be the next step though. A methodical approach to the problem. :rotf:

tnlonghunter said:
Okay, so I'm glad I'm not the only person familiar with these German caps. They worked GREAT. Now, does anybody know where to get them? I have no idea where the tin I found came from.
IIRC Dixie gunworks used to carry them.

Made it back to the range just ahead of the snowstorm.

The one nipple that wasn't firing was fixed by a bit of tinkering as suggested here. The other one is not responding at all. So now I'm down fer sure to one specific nipple that has to be struck twice every time to ignite.

My thinking at this point is that I'll get a set of nipples & strip these for emergency/spares.
So what the heck thread do I need?
#12X28, or M6X75? different sources quote different sizes & I don't want a third set floating around.
Umberti's website lists one size for everything except the walkers if that helps at all.

Nipples are a funny thing. Thread depth, # of threads per inch (TPI), as well as angle on the threads all go into the equation. There are folks here that swear by Treso replacement nipples, which are bought mail-order through places like TOW, DGW, etc. I would let someone who has had a good experience with replacement nipples chime-in and give the heads-up on how to proceed. I haven't had the need to replace my nipples yet, but this year I will do so (with the Walker, at least).

Dave

The Pietta Italian 1858 Remington' s should be using a 6mm X .75 pistol nipple.
The Uberti 1858 Remingtons use a 5.5mm X .9 pistol nipple.

Note that I said Pistol nipple because the standard Rifle nipples will not work on your revolver.

Thanks.
Treso alloy or S/S what's your thoughts here?
I'm looking for function & durability over appearance if it comes down to that BTW.

Thanks Zonie! :thumbsup:

I didn't look yet, but you'd probably know...Is there a chart in the Charts & Graphs section with the most common nipple sizes for the various revolvers made? I already knew about pistol nipples being a little shorter.

Thanks again!

Dave

I have replaced those nipples in my Uberti 1851 with these from the Gun Works and it worked out very well and they are black in color
Nipples - Stainless Steel - 6x .75mm - #11 Cap
For Most Revolvers - 6 per Pack
Manufactured by Uncle Mike/Butler Creek

Nipple - Ampco - 6x.75mm - # 11 Cap
Fit Old Italian Revolver - 1 per Pack
Manufactured by Treso $5.25

Nipples - Revolver - 6x .75mm - #11 Cap
For Pietta Revolvers - 3 per Pack
Manufactured by CVA $5.00

Nipples - Stainless Steel - 12-28 - #11 Cap
For Ruger Old Army - 6 per Pack
Manufactured by Uncle Mike/Butler Creek $15.50

Nipples - Stainless Steel - 6x .75mm - #11 Cap
For Most Revolvers - 6 per Pack
Manufactured by Uncle Mike/Butler Creek $11.50
The Uberti 1858 Remingtons use a 5.5mm X .9 pistol nipple.

Which ones are you using Rebel? There seem to be several, but none of them seem to match the thread specs!

That's OK, Now I know I do not need what you got, cuz they take different ones.
At this point even that is a help. :rotf:

Follow up report.
I found a BP specialty store that had a set of Uncle Mike's stainless steel nipples, labeled funnily enough "for Ruger~ 12X28", but we tried them & they both fit & function, so I bought em. Strike while the iron is hot, that's my motto. :bull: :blah:
Just as a backup plan I also bought a tin of #11 caps :shake:
Oh well, it gives me an excuse to go back to the range :rotf:

Not too well.
The range was under knee deep snow. :surrender:
I'll try later when the weather is a bit more conducive.

:( too bad!

We got hit up here too. Don't know if our outdoor range road is passable yet either.

Stay in touch...and try when you can!

Now if it ever stops snowing!

Back