• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Powderhorn gift (strapping?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Birthday gift today from my sons:
18th century Carolina-style Powderhorn to carry on my hunts.

Now down the research rabbit hole for historically correct strapping.
I purchased a strap some years ago from TOW but still not sure how to best attach it to the horn. The butt plug has a ring but how to attach it around the throat?
How do you stop it from slipping off?

1629757323132.png

I like to put the strap around and see it as tight as I can. This will still stretch and slipp. So I have tow ends of my there left from the stitch. I then wrap these in opposite direction around the horn and tie off. Paint with a little wax

I use leather straps, 3/8" to 1/2" depending on the horn size, that I pull up tight at the throat of the horn, pierce with an awl where the strap just meets itself, and then bind it through the awl hole and around the strap with linen thread or sinew. Can't promise it is an authentic method - but it works well.

Attachments

• Smoothbore pouch.jpg
    Smoothbore pouch.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 50
Back