• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanscamaro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I continue to try and make a better powder horn. Here is my latest attempt. I found this scrimshaw drawing of two wolves and no matter how bad I might be at scrimshaw, needed it on my next horn. I put a Cherokee thought around the neck, a part of which you can just see a part showing:

Waken Tanken Nici Un
(May the Great Spirit Walk With You)

I turned the pouring spout plug from some plasticized buckeye burl I had from pen turning. I'm waiting on some elk rounds coming that will be used as buttons at the attachment of a sash I made on an inkle loom. Just thought I would show my progress.

:v :v

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

deano said:
Waken Tanken Nici Un
(May the Great Spirit Walk With You)

I don't speak any Cherokee, but in the Dakota language, we see the similar phrase...
Wakantanka Taku Nitawa (Many and Great,O God Are your Works), the title and first line of perhaps the best known Native American hymn.

That horn's looking good, Deano! :hatsoff: What wood is the base plug and did you hollow it out?
Steve

I'm ashamed to say that I am a little unsure of the wood, as I pulled it out of my scrap box....it might be walnut. I did not hollow it out, but just drilled the hole through for filling.

It is still a work in progress, but after seeing the vet's horn over in the Accrutaments forum, I'm almost tempted to have Claude pull this topic...his is a beautiful piece of work and mine is far from that.
:redface:

deano said:
It is still a work in progress, but after seeing the vet's horn over in the Accrutaments forum, I'm almost tempted to have Claude pull this topic...his is a beautiful piece of work and mine is far from that.
:redface:

Don't. Yours ain't exactly chopped liver. I personally like it a lot ;)

I think we're all a work in progress! Keep at it! I sent you a private topic that just might be the cat's meow for your horn woes.

Steve

Back