• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Pistol aged

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got the pistol Ive been waiting for. Doug Herane built it in the white for me at my specs. Did a beautiful job. Converted a flintlock instead of buying a conversion lock. Filled holes with brass 7 1/4 inch .40 oct. to round. Thing points beautifully. I wanted to add some age without going overboard. Make it look used, warm and cared for. My question to the guys that have "antiqued" before is. Did I hit it right. Is it to much? Not enough? Im not going for the 200 year old look alike. Just something thats been used/carried daily for a few years. Thanks for the response. sorry about the light, it was early morning light. Wanted natural light pics.

PS. Doug, if you have internet now and read this THANKS!

HPIM0952.jpg

f4.jpg

f2.jpg

f1.jpg

I like it at that wear level. The wood looks too good for a used belt pistol, however. ;-)

I have seen some beat with chains or thrown and kicked on gravel driveways (I kid you not). I have a bit of wear on my flinter - some original and some added honestly. Not for the feint of heart.

One thing you can do is wipe it with black or dark brown shoepolish and then wipe it well with a cotton cloth. The poilsh hangs up in the corners and creases and gives that "old crud" patina. Waxing the pistol and THEN adding a bit of dark stain to boiled linseed oil and rubbing it down after it dries will do the same.

The dark collects in the little dings and nicks.

HPIM0452.jpg

I agree with Stumpy; however just using the pistol will give it some honest wear. After all, the original guns all started off looking new and acquired that patina over years of use.

Back