• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New pile of parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffS

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a gun builder! I have the parts to prove it!
:rolleyes:
Actually I just bought a whole mess of stuff that should turn out to be a Lancaster-ish .54 rifle. Siler lock kit, and green mountain barrel. 15/16 flats. Brass trim, big wide butt plate, and trigger guard, double set trigger. Fantail tang. Didn't get any inlay or patch box. The stock is pre-shaped, drilled for rod, and barrel channel is done, but not inleted for lock or trigger. Left handed btw. My first gun ever, I'm a bit scared, but I have two good books and I know two guys who are talented builders. Hopefully I won't annoy them to death. I have a feeling I will be visiting this place often too.

Pray for me.... :shocking:

Jeff

I am with you, I have a pile of parts that will become a flintlock pistol. And a friend who has done this all several times. And the new knowledge that the pile of parts costs more than a finished gun!

Sounds like the same boat. :) Should be fun though. I'm anxious to get going. I do see a lot of new tools in my future. Been dinking around taking the rougher spots of my trigger guard.

Just thought of something. I'm going to take pictures of all this stuff before I start.

Jeff

Great idea - before and after. Did you get these as a kit? Or put together your own kit? Who did you get them from?

Good luck boy's. Remember take your time! If you say that's good enough on something, you will see it the rest of your life, or as long as you own the gun. I'm just ready to stain and finish a Lancaster-ish 50 cal myself and just today received the parts for the next project. It's a lot of work but if done to your satisfaction you'll be much happier shooting it and showing it off to friends.
Craig :front:

Read the books and then do it. Start drawing and planning and then get to drilling, filing or inletting something soon or you will be looking at those parts for years to come. Been there.

I wish both of you the best.

CS

Great idea - before and after. Did you get these as a kit? Or put together your own kit? Who did you get them from?

I bought them at a store, the guy who runs the place helped me put together appropriate parts. Not a kit, but kind of the same idea. Got everything but the rear sight. He didnt have any that would be right for the gun.

Think you've got it bad? I've got most of the parts for four rifles and two pistols I have to build this winter. And I won't have time to really get started till after deer hunting season is over in December. Good thing I label and bag parts for each set I'm doing, 'cuz who knows what kind of weird looking guns I'd end up with!

Good luck, take your time, and enjoy every step of the way.
:hatsoff:

Back