• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new old toy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54mountain

45 Cal.
Reaction score
got this in trade years ago, the guy shot it and didn't clean it. when I got it the cylinder was locked up. the loading lever catch was gone as well as the front sight. I cleaned it up and traded it for a youth rifle for my grand son.

well last Friday I got it back in trade for a knife,
ASMbrasser002.jpg

ASMbrasser003.jpg

I decided that it was so rough I would customize it a bit
ASMbrasser001-1.jpg

I cut the barrel down to 5 1/2 inches and started refinishing the grips
ASMbrasser001-2.jpg
Here it is minus the loading lever and front sight.
I will probably replace the front sight but like the way it looks sans loading lever

well I finished it up last night. I lacquered the grips, polished the frame, added a front sight and cut down the loading lever. Please critique
ASMbrasser001-3.jpg

Cool, nice work bobing it. :thumbsup: Are you going to antique it, make it look old or leave it the way it is? Only thing I would have done different is stain the grips darker or replace altogether with something else. :hmm:

I will probably get some real walnut grips eventually, these are slightly under sized.
all I have is a very old tube of paste bluing and it doesn't work real well that's whats on it now.
I'll leave it as for now and see how she ages

Nice work. :thumbsup:

Agree with Swampy on staining the grips darker, but since you are probably going to replace them, no problem.

I prefer to leave original blue on and live with the use nicks and dings unless the metal can be rolled back into place a bit. Everybody has their own preferences.

Have a very early 1851 Navy Arms .36 with the factory short 5 or 5 1/2 inch barrel and really like they way it handles and looks.

:hatsoff:

I got a 1858 Rem and really like the look of the 5.5" over the 8".

This makes the loading lever alot shorter, but its not too hard to load. So I really like that about your gun.

And yes - some walnut grips would be nice.

How many coats of blue did you do? Seems kinda translucent, still yet...

I went over it 5 or 6 times and it would get darker but it always came back to lookin' like this after a bit of rubbing with a soft cotton cloth.
I just got flustered and gave up, I'll have to see if the local gun store has any liquid Permablue

I realy like the look and feel of the 5 1/2 inch barrel also. I can't wait till this weekend so I can sight it in :grin:

Back