• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member from Montana

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLEknife

32 Cal
Reaction score
RLEknife
I'm a new member, I've been a buckskinner from 1979-85 and 93-94 . I'm from Montana and am looking about getting back into buckskinning. Are there rondezvous competition shoots in Montana? Saw some listed in WY and ID. We do a little ranching and I make knives for a living.
Thanks
Rick Eaton
Eatonknives.com

WELCOME Rick!

Sounds like you are an old hand at this, have you read Osborn Russell's "Journal of a Trapper"?
In it he wrote about Howell's Encampment, located maybe 50 miles south of you at the confluence of Rock Creek & Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone. It's on private land but the owner used to allow a local bunch of 'skinners to have a pretty good size rondy there every summer. Might be something to look into.

WELCOME Rick!

Sounds like you are an old hand at this, have you read Osborn Russell's "Journal of a Trapper"?
In it he wrote about Howell's Encampment, located maybe 50 miles south of you at the confluence of Rock Creek & Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone. It's on private land but the owner used to allow a local bunch of 'skinners to have a pretty good size rondy there every summer. Might be something to look into.
Beerd2,
Cool I saw that listed on a website, but it was from a few years ago, didn't know if it's still going. Joined billings rod & gun club a month ago , going to try and make it out. Never read that journal I'll check it out. Thanks. Muzzleloading got me into building knives and guns, which led to learning engraving and knifemaking, my father was knifemaker as well. He got me into buckskinning after I got out of military. I've been a full time knifemaker & engraver since 93. Which got me out of buckskinners for awhile. Recently got my dad's rifle he built , so it sparked my interst again. I love the competition. I also race Vintage motocross and currently race old bikes. But have always loved to shoot and hunt, and get back into the old smokepoles ! :)

Most of the shooting action is in the NW corner of the state. Kalispell, Libby, Alberton areas, with Kalispell the most active. See the Folk Firearms Collective on Youtube for the Flathead area shoots.
Grab a stump and hold on!

Welcome from Southwest Arkansas from a fellow rancher, black powder, and vintage motorcycle enthusiast! Do you any road racing?

This is a great forum. Glad to have you along.
Haven't done any road racing, do mainly offroad, vmx race AHRMA
Raced in 70s as a kid , my son got me back into riding bikes again, then the bug to race got me racing again in 2017. Been racing every year since.

Latest posts

Back