• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Lyman GPR Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello fello shooters. My new Lyman .50 cal Great Plains Rifle arrived in the mail yesterday. I assembled it according to the instructions, with the wedge pins going in from right to left. My wedge pins seem to be in as far as they will go, but the heads of the pins are sticking out about a 10th of an inch. Is this normal or should they be flush with the side of the rifle? They are not loose at all and I do not think that they are going to move without me using a wedge puller to make them move. Just wondering. Other than that, I am extremely impressed with the appearance of the rifle.

They need to be in all the way. In the owner's manual that came with your rifle, it tells how to adjust (file) the wedge plates to get the pins to go in all the way. And if all else fails, use a brass hammer to get them in. :grin:

When my GPR was new I had to squeeze the barrel and stock pretty hard right where each pin goes in to make them slide in completely.The pins slide in much easier now that 1000 plus patched balls and the multitude of cleanings requiring barrel removal have been done.It will get easier with time,mine did. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I appreciate the timely response from both you and Russianblood. I read my manual when I opened the box. I saw where it said that some filing may be required, but since I had not ever handled or seen a GPR other than in pictures, I was not sure how far in the pins should go. I put the pins on the grinding wheel and took off a slight amount of metal from the corners. The wedges still fit snuggly and all the way flush. Now comes the fun part, going to the range and working up a load. Thanks again for y'alls help.

Be careful fitting the wedges if they are tight. I slight chamfer on the edges will help. Pressing down firmly on the barrel while fitting will help too.

Care is needed since tapping the wedges to drive them in that extra 1/10th of an inch, if done too forcefully, results in bending the escutcheon on the off-side.

cheers!

When I first got mine I got my GPR it was tight also so not knowing any better I banged it with a rubber mallet bent the manure out of the escutution tried to get them off to straighten them, Stripped the little screws. Damn what a pain in the arse!!! :shake:
WI

Before shooting it before to clean all the factory grease out of the barrel or you will have a heck of a time getting it out later. I use spray brake cleaner to clean it out with. Take the barrel out of the stock first as the stuff will mess up the stock finish if you get it on the stock.

Can any of yall advise the best place (cheepest) to buy a GPR kit? The last one I bought was in 90 or 91 and it set me back a wopping 179.00 dollars in flint!

I believe the consensus is that midsouth shooters supply is the cheapest. I bought my right hand flint GPR kit for $305 delivered.

I'd rather have them a little long than a little short. Ovcr time you may have to bend them a little to keep the tight when in place and bending may take up the extra length. Be sure to mark top on each one by using the top of a nail and making an indentation that you can recongize. There will be a difference between top and bottom after they wear a little.

I just got my new GPR too. I've noticed that the wedge pins are extremely tight -- tighter than I'm willing to force together. And, the instructions from Lyman in the box clearly say that only gentle pressure down on the barrel into the stock should be used. Otherwise, you risk cracking the stock.

My question now is about the little pins on the foreend cap. The pin that goes all the way through the cap is so loose that it will almost slip out by itself. :cursing: Should I try to hammer each side rounded to pin it in? Is this normal?

Hey Shifty.

No that isn't normal. However it can be fixed as you describe.

Might I recommend however that the before trying to set it with a punch the surrounding metal be covered with several layers of tape?

Tape will prevent the off side from being marked as you try to set the pin. It will also help prevent damage if the punch hops as you try to set the pin.

Make sure the off side is resting on something solid so all the energy from the hammer gets transmitted through the punch to the pin.

Cheers!

Back