• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Guy with a question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm glad I found this forum.
I recently got into muzzle loading and have fallen quite hard for this. Anyways I have a few starter setups but I would like to purchase a nice flintlock pistol. Something with a nice design and that can be passed on to my son some day.
There seems to be a TON of guns out there. Any one's really better? If you were looking for one like this and to pass on which would you go with?
Thanks and keep burning that powder :winking:

I think I would go to the gun works website and look at the used harpers ferry pistols they listed.

you can probly find a link to them on this forum!

my $.02

Brett

Are you asking about style or builder?

If you are asking about style, you just have to look at a bunch and see which grabs your interest.

If you are talking about builders, I really can't help you much. I have two production pistols, a Kentucky style from Pedersoli and a Heavy Dragoon from Loyalist Arms. I like them both and find them both to be of very good quality. I am sure others will chime in with more information on custom builders.

I definitely like the Kentucky style but it seems like there are so many out there to choose from.
Want a really nice one.

Well, you have decided on a style, next you will want to determine how much you want to spend. A custom one will be more expensive than one off the shelf. Again, I have a Pedersoli Kentucky and in my opinion, the quality is just fine. I don't know the current price but mine cost me around $275 about 5 years ago.

Pedersoli makes fine guns of all types. I have never read anything bad about the quality of any of their guns. My Kentucky pistol has always fired reliably for me. I don't think you would be disappointed with one of them, but, do yourself a favor and look at all the ones available and ask for other opinions.

Biker said:
Something with a nice design and that can be passed on to my son some day.
There seems to be a TON of guns out there. Any one's really better? If you were looking for one like this and to pass on which would you go with?

If you are interested in something to "pass on", I'd suggest a custom gun. Yes, it will cost more, but it's an investment that will pay off years from now. I hope no one misunderstands my next comment, but there's nothing "special" about a factory made gun. They're great, but as you say, there's tons of them out there.

Perhaps one of the builders on this site will contact you and suggest something that will meet your needs?

Not to get morbid BUT If you buy a custom gun the price is sure to go up when the builder passes on. Factory built guns will always be built but a custom can only be built by that one guy and when he's gone they'll be no more. Just something to add to the above coments. :thumbsup:

Could not agree more with the comments above. I guess I lost sight a little of his desire to pass it along someday :hmm: . I was trying to point out some things to consider, and I have no knowledge or experience with custom built pistols and did not know where to point him on that option, so just sited my experience with off the shelf.

my 62 smooth pistol she is a charmer with 4 buck but not to good with a ball (not the gun just the shooter
bc0h16ni.jpg

Latest posts

Back