• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New guy ondee block

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobTom

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was "gifted" my late fathers 50cal CVA Frontier side lock muzzleloader. I've never had the oppurtunity to shoot one of these beauties, so I want to do it right. Just looking to find out the correct powder and bullet (s) to use for this rifle. It has a 1:48 twist, the barrel is octagon and made in Spain (?). Thank you for any advice

Welcome from Maine. For best results go on percussion rifles and ask your questions. More folks will see it!
Nit Wit

I was "gifted" my late fathers 50cal CVA Frontier side lock muzzleloader. I've never had the oppurtunity to shoot one of these beauties, so I want to do it right. Just looking to find out the correct powder and bullet (s) to use for this rifle. It has a 1:48 twist, the barrel is octagon and made in Spain (?). Thank you for any advice
Welcome from Nebraska.
If you don't have the CVA manual or booklet that came with it new, download it for a good start to learning.
Larry

Howdy and welcome from Tennessee. A Frontier is a great little rifle. Go to the percussion rifle section with any questions and we will get you started right. By the way, mine likes 70 grains of FF powder and a patched .490 round ball. Been shooting the Pyrodex equivalent and she does just fine.

Howdy and welcome from Tennessee. A Frontier is a great little rifle. Go to the percussion rifle section with any questions and we will get you started right. By the way, mine likes 70 grains of FF powder and a patched .490 round ball. Been shooting the Pyrodex equivalent and she does just fine.
Thank you very much Sir Hermit of Tim.

Welcome, from North Carolina! My first muzzy was a CVA St. Louis Hawken rifle in .50 cal. You need to see what yours likes best, but you can use ffg or fffg blackpowder, or RS or P Pyrodex, avg .15 patching material with your choice of lube, and probably start with a .490 round ball (although, there is a certain “maniac” on here who likes to use a .480 ball for easier loading ‘cause he is always shooting at metal “zoo critters”). Your 1:48” twist will also allow you to shoot a variety of conicals, if you so desire. Post your question on the percussion thread, as has been stated, and you will get a ton of answers.

Attachments

• IMG_2003.jpeg
    IMG_2003.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2004.jpeg
    IMG_2004.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back