• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New guy from co

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsnow9

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m just at the entry level of all this muzzle loading stuff. In the process of figuring out exactly what I want to buy. Just creating for now and getting familiar with the different rifles. Need 50 or bigger for Colorado.

Leaning towards a hawken style with lots of character. Hoping to find an accurate shooter but don’t want to hunt with any of the new plastic stuff on the market. Was told to check this place out and I think it’s gonna cost me a lot more than I was planning.

I think I have expensive taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Upstate NY.

I can tell you my two current flintlocks cost 80% of what I made the first year of full-time employment out of college. But that was in 1980 and the firearms purchased much more recently; a lot has changed inflation-wise since then. You can easily sink thousands into a custom flintlock. But, on the other hand, what a joy to own something elegant and nicely made. I hunt with mine. They get rained on and snowed on. But they are reliable. I've owned "off the shelf" flintlocks that were miserable and 50% successful for ignition. But that was pre-internet and I'm sure a site like this would have helped me figure out things like lock geometry and frizzen tempering.

Pity we lost Thompson/Center to the side-lock world. They made a series of wonderful "entry level" paper/meat accurate firearms, if not entirely historically accurate. My .54 Renegade shoots as well as anything I use with iron sights and my .50 New Englander (swap barrel rifle/12 ga. shotgun) was/is the best little carbine for hunting.

Welcome from Upstate NY.

I can tell you my two current flintlocks cost 80% of what I made the first year of full-time employment out of college. But that was in 1980 and the firearms purchased much more recently; a lot has changed inflation-wise since then. You can easily sink thousands into a custom flintlock. But, on the other hand, what a joy to own something elegant and nicely made. I hunt with mine. They get rained on and snowed on. But they are reliable. I've owned "off the shelf" flintlocks that were miserable and 50% successful for ignition. But that was pre-internet and I'm sure a site like this would have helped me figure out things like lock geometry and frizzen tempering.

Pity we lost Thompson/Center to the side-lock world. They made a series of wonderful "entry level" paper/meat accurate firearms, if not entirely historically accurate. My .54 Renegade shoots as well as anything I use with iron sights and my .50 New Englander (swap barrel rifle/12 ga. shotgun) was/is the best little carbine for hunting.
Thanks, still learning all about the different styles and everything. Will probably focus on percussion cap. But who knows. I feel like this is going to be a deep, dark rabbit hole

Great deals can be found on here for entry level percussion reproductions that we generally refer to as hawkens. For Colorado elk I would opt for a .54 but a .50 would serve well if legal.

Hello and welcome from PA. A really nice classified section here to help you find that perfect gun. Some great introductory level production guns are available currently and some beautiful custom ones. Careful treading around the rabbit hole, once you fall in, very difficult to get yourself out. Good luck.

Welcome from Colorado native.

lots of good info here.

Decide one thing before you go down the rabbit hole.
Just what is a "Hawken rifle"?
What makes a rifle a "Hawken"?

Be careful- it's a minefield.

Welcome aboard!
I’ve killed elk with .50s, both a T/C Hawkin kit gun I built back in the ‘70s, and an Investarms Cabela’s Hawkin.
I’ve occasionally given thought to a .54, but so far the .50 gets the job done.
Greg

Back