• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New guns inherited. Tell me more

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtblackdog

32 Cal
Reaction score
Inherited a couple percussion guns. One is a Thompson the other a Connecticut Valley. Can somebody tell me a littke about them. The Thompson has fiber optic sights(blasphemy I know) and would like to find originals. The CVA doesnt have set trigger working but otherwise a real nice gun
5C38DB37-5C80-466B-B29A-03AE2B8BF7C3.jpeg
7BCE5E8C-714E-47CF-BFEB-E50A6CC8EE5D.jpeg
16A91D63-A3A9-4220-94AB-C35AC4CD8615.jpeg
696D68AF-8E80-4794-A874-EEAD9EACE691.jpeg
A695EB57-E665-426D-BA0F-5ADD23724041.jpeg
2DA8BD2C-7729-40D6-999A-1BD8A3E03CAE.jpeg
CDE64EA2-8157-47DE-B233-EB0D42407880.jpeg

The CVA looks to have been restocked. I don’t recall seeing one with wood that nice or without a patch box. The T/C looks like a Renegade with a modified stock. It should’ve had a flat butt from the factory, but yours has been cut to a crescent shape and has a patch box added. I’m far from an expert, so I’m interested to see what everyone else’s opinion is. No matter what you have two BP rifles that you can shoot assuming all else is sound.

The TC is also missing the nose cap and the stock does not appear to have ever had one. I believe I agree that it is an altered Renegade stock. Does it have a cheek piece?

The CVA looks to have been restocked. I don’t recall seeing one with wood that nice or without a patch box. The T/C looks like a Renegade with a modified stock. It should’ve had a flat butt from the factory, but yours has been cut to a crescent shape and has a patch box added. I’m far from an expert, so I’m interested to see what everyone else’s opinion is. No matter what you have two BP rifles that you can shoot assuming all else is sound.
The early CVA,s didn't have patch boxes.

Would be interesting to see the other side of the stock. Something different with how the butt plate and top of the comb blend together. Almost expect to see a modern Monte Carlo type raised cheek piece on the other side.
1672420684375.png

The CVA looks a lot like their early "Frontier Rifle" model. I had one back in the70s that was a good shooter, and the wood was excellent. Wish I had not sold it to fund something else. The heel of the butt plate on this one looks a little wonky. It appears the stock may have been cut down, and a resulting gap between the wood and the metal was filled in somehow. Kinda hard to tell from the one photo.

It looks like a whitetail killer for sure.

The CVA is a pretty nice looking Frontier Rifle. The TC is a Renegade or 54cal Hawken that TOTALLY needs the stock replaced. As my favorite uncle used to say, "it's a strange roarin' that goes through some people's heads". No other explanation for why someone would butcher a stock like that.

Oh, and that's a Seneca patchbox so, I'm'a go with mangled Renegade on the stock.

Hell, I would leave it as is and use it for hunting elk. A family member's Johnny Cash Cadillac.

What is the point of returning a gun to an assembly line non-historical reproduction state? Do it in memory of T/C production worker? It wasn't anything special when it was original. At least it has character that a family member put effort into.

Last edited:
Buttplate, triggerguard, single barrel key identify it as a Frontier Rifle. Not to even mention the missing four inches of barrel.
Dang your right, guess I better play closer attention. Dang nicest piece of wood to ever appear on a Frontier rifle, at least any I've seen.

I've got what I believe to be an original T/C rear sight in my gun cleaning box. It came from an early gun and is a bit on the "loose" side. I replaced it with a Williams FP-Hawken sight. If you wannit for your Frankenstein project, contact me and I'll ship it off to you N/C. dalerabyatgmalldotcom
Very kind of you not that Ide ever seek one. Rudyard

Latest posts

Back