• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New From Texas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy from the Piney woods side of Texas! Tyler area. Now you might have folks scratching their heads as to "Italy" !! At least you didnt say "paris" !!! Post some pics of the old rifle . will get lots of input here !

Nice to see one someone from Tyler.

I am new to this forum. I have finally finished a semi finished cap and ball Remington 44 kit I bought in the mid 1970's from Dixie Gun Works. I used to get their catalog in the 70's and lusted over flint lock rifles. I settled for the revolver which I could afford at the time. Covid gave me the time to get the revolver done finally.

Recently I have been looking for another project. I found an old percussion rifle. I was looking to gain some knowledge on it.
Howdy from New Braunfels. Which part of Texas have you settled in?

Your post made me wonder, IS there a Australia Texas, we have many other towns named after cities and other countries. Well search didnt turn up any sadly BUT I did find TEXAS in Australia !!

1640267704376.png

Welcome from Australia, just a little more South than Texas.

TEXAS, where this old boy should have migrated to when he retired from the Army in 2007.

Your post made me wonder, IS there a Australia Texas, we have many other towns named after cities and other countries. Well search didnt turn up any sadly BUT I did find TEXAS in Australia !!

View attachment 110873

We sure do. its here in the north east State of Queensland but down south near the NSW border.

Rumour has it that a family called Santa Anna settled there in the early days......

BTW, Australia had quite a few 49ers from the Californian Gold rush ship out here to the State of Victoria during the 1850's Gold rush, they were actively involved in the Eureka rebellion as well.

During the American War between the States Confederate commerce raiders visited Australia to refit and replenish, most famous being the CSS Shenandoah, some of the crew jumped ship and settled here.

https://www.clubmarine.com.au/explo...-–-the-incredible-story-of-the-CSS-Shenandoah
After the War in 1865 there were Southerners who emigrated to Australia, my own great grandmother (a relative of John Bowie Gray a VMI Cadet who fought at the battle of Newmarket) among them. The family always called her "The Virginia Lady and still holds all of her personal artifacts.

The family always called her "The Virginia Lady and still holds all of her personal artifacts.
That is so cool! So much gets lost by the second or third generation that doesn't know the significance of things that are passed down, and the family history is lost. We need a repository for family information that can be accessed by folks, but security, etc, won't work. Maybe Ancestry, but even they make money from your free info.

That's a neat story!
I have ancestors from the Shenandoah Valley, VA, that wore grey with red trim. My family moved to Shenandoah Valley, Texas is '71. No known connection with the ship, but I like the story!

"I have ancestors from the Shenandoah Valley, VA, that wore grey with red trim."

Artillery men I assume, you would know of one LtCol John Haskell and his 24 pounder Coehorn Mortars at the Battle of the Crater.

A direct descendant of his is one John Haskell who's a 4th generation Australian, and he happens to be a long term friend of mine. He's a Napoleonic War and ACW reenactor and a very knowledgeable Muzzle loader Artillery enthusiast, hows that for genetics !

Back