• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New French Tulle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
English walnut? Don't know for sure but I think it might be more widely available than European (ie. French) walnut.

That is a beautiful gun by any standard and is certainly representative of a French Tulle. Not everyone requires a gun to be a detailed copy of some specific gun known to have existed. Your gun certainly captures the style (and beauty) of the Tulle. And, from what I see, it shoots like a house 'afire too! Makes me jelous!

Al/Ont said:
English walnut? Don't know for sure but I think it might be more widely available than European (ie. French) walnut.
English walnut, French walnut, European walnut, it's all the same Juglans regia and grows from the Iberian Peninsula northeastward all across Europe including the Balkans, and into Turkey, and other places. For more info., click here.

Cruzatte, you may well be right (I didn't read the website that you linked to). The only thing that I know is that when I referred to the "European" walnut that Eric Kettenburg used to make my Fusil de Tulle, he actually whispered to me, via email, that he used English Walnut, rather than a walnut from the continent. If Eric Kettenburg thinks there's a difference, then that's good enough for me.

The thumb piece is not a stock feature to the tulle, but it could have been added at a later time

It is a medallion from a British Board of Ordinance Chief's Grade gun. Looks like one of mine.

:stir:

Al/Ont said:
Cruzatte, you may well be right (I didn't read the website that you linked to). The only thing that I know is that when I referred to the "European" walnut that Eric Kettenburg used to make my Fusil de Tulle, he actually whispered to me, via email, that he used English Walnut, rather than a walnut from the continent. If Eric Kettenburg thinks there's a difference, then that's good enough for me.

Ah well, since you put it that way... :wink: Again, it's merely academic on my end. If it were me, I wouldn't care if the plank was cut from a tree grown in Serbia, or Oregon USA, as long as it's Juglans regia. P.S. I see Dunlap Woodcrafts has European/English/California walnut gunstock blanks available.
Cheers.

I bought the last long pice of EW from Dunlaps in Feb. I was told there would not be any available for quite awhile until what they have dries. :(

Thats a great looking gun.I have a center mark tulle and have learned some things I can do to make it more hc,and its my next project.If someone would point out some atypical things about your gun those people have to remember that all guns were a little custom back then and there was a lot of atypical guns and post factory alterations.What you have there is a gun you should be proud of :hatsoff: to you,I hope my next one looks as good.

alex efremenko said:
I bought the last long pice of EW from Dunlaps in Feb. I was told there would not be any available for quite awhile until what they have dries. :(
Oh well....that's the way it goes. Hope your new project turns out well. Post pix if you can.

well gentlemen...

...to me it looks just fine.
this might be the look of the guns that those guys 250+ years ago received. keep in mind those guns have been made new for them.

i also believe that - like today also - a owner/user of a gun would make some personal changes to it that fits his needs. so i do believe that each and every gun - even thought they are made to the same pattern - looked different. some a bit more some a bit less.

just my 2 cents.

ike

I'm not going to critique the O.P.'s gun[prvately or publically]. Look at and really study original guns,handle originals if you can go to gun shows.There is some good literature out there. Theres archetechure to consider.Certain lines and ways they were put together and layed out.Carving varies but stuill follows the same idea. The FDC was a civillianized military arm distributed and made for the Dept of the Marine. It shares feature from both worlds.

Learning is fun

:hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back