• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just received this as new .54 flintlock today. 35" barrel, Maple stock and some nice German Silver bling. Rifle was built by an L. Poole and A.W. Lenhart. What I have found out is that they were very active in 60s and 70s in the John Day, Oregon area. Anyone familiar with these two?

Really gorgeous rifle but has a jinky lock: triggers won't set. hammer not engaging sear. I have adjusted set screw to no avail and even out of stock cock won't engage. Being kind of out of my wheelhouse, any ideas on fix?

IMG_20220407_203127482.jpg
IMG_20220407_203403625.jpg
IMG_20220407_203146487.jpg
IMG_20220407_203412903.jpg
IMG_20220407_203307396.jpg
IMG_20220407_203447181.jpg

Nothing missing or broken. Looks really goopy around the works. grease could be 40 or more years old and sitting that long. Needs a good cleaning with screws loosened.

Seems the interior screws have to be backed off a tad from tight to let everything move. Works fine now. I always assume the worst, as you can tell. :p

Seems the interior screws have to be backed off a tad from tight to let everything move. Works fine now. I always assume the worst, as you can tell. :p
a good polishing of internal parts will help that syndrome! i have one that drove me well..... nuttier by freezing up when the bridle screws were tightened. polished to crocus shine and now i could use my new impact wrench to tighten and everything would still move.
and i shoot BP guns for the simplicity!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh: :doh:

It may be an inletting problem. Get some inletting black and see if there is wood to metal contact that can cause interference.

Latest posts

Back