• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock Match Rifle Finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is one that I finished today. A plain sugar maple stock that was stained and finished with Tried and True varnish oil. The barrel is 36" long and is a .40 caliber Rice Match barrel that is 7/8" ATF. The rear sight is a Kensight adjustable silhouette sight. The trigger is a Siler double trigger, single lever that only fires if set before cocking. The lock is a small Siler. The build style is loosely based off the Lancaster school with some of my personal touches added.

IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0568.JPG

Brilliant work, Bruce! I like the blend of traditional style and modern practicality, built with best-quality parts.

It looks like a winner to me!

I need to learn more about those Kensight sights. I love authentic kit and historically correct equipment as much as anybody, but there's nothing wrong with keeping at least one racehorse in the stable. I've been thinking about what I would want in a match rifle. The rifle displayed here is well thought out.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments.

Bob, this Kensight is their XP100 Silhoutte sight. It is the best I have found for mounting on flat top barrels and it is good quality. It was recommended by a very good shooter (Larry Hand) and I have not regretted using them. I have settled on pretty much only building "racehorse" rifles for awhile. The market seems to have plenty of the others being offered and no one else seems to be catering to the match shooters. I hope it was not a bad business decision as I just stocked up on match barrels, good triggers, good locks and these sights.

Sgt, I know this one will shoot, but I am going to let it set unfired for awhile. I am trying to build up my inventory for the bigger matches when they start back this fall.

I just recently finished a rifle for 25 yard off hand matches this fall, LH large Siler locks, percussion and flint, 42" Rice 7/8" .40 caliber and a Davis double set trigger. It's all on a Virginia style stock with iron hardware. The rear sight is a Thompson Center that I milled a flat in to fit the barrel.

@BruceHH ,

Are those Siler triggers on the subject rifle? I don't see those being used much. I understand they are single-phase, i.e. they only work when set, which is fine for a dedicated match rifle, and in fact all of the original antique sporting rifles with double set triggers that I have personally examined had single phase triggers.

In any event, I would like to know or confirm what type of triggers you used. I like the look of them.

Thanks,

Notchy Bob

@BruceHH ,

Are those Siler triggers on the subject rifle? I don't see those being used much. I understand they are single-phase, i.e. they only work when set, which is fine for a dedicated match rifle, and in fact all of the original antique sporting rifles with double set triggers that I have personally examined had single phase triggers.

In any event, I would like to know or confirm what type of triggers you used. I like the look of them.

Thanks,

Notchy Bob
He says siler trigger in the first post

He says siler trigger in the first post
Thank you. I missed that. I guess I got caught up in looking at the pictures!

Bob, yes these are the single phase Siler trigger. I really like the positive engagement they have. That back trigger caused me to have to do a little trigger guard bending to get the right fit.

Thanks! Sorry about the unnecessary question. They do look like good, solid triggers.

Notchy Bob

I for one like your rifle...a LOT! That's a good looking .40 and a great building job. My only "dedicated" target (match) rifle is a heavy barrel .45 X 25" tack smacker.

Latest posts

Back