• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Finish on My .54 Virginia Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegesus59

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished stripping and refinishing my .50 Caliber Virgina. The original finish was to light for my liking. The darker color brings out more of the curl. I spent about 10 hours stripping off the 10 coats of Tru Oil and stain. I then applied a fresh mix of Chromium Trioxide and let it set for an hour,after which I buffed it out to the color that suited me. It now has 12 coats of hand rubbed Tru Oil and was smoothed with 4X Brass wool. A lot of people have seen it in the blonde at some Rendezvous' and liked it. It will make it's day view with the new finish at The St. Joe Rendezvous in Farmington, MO on the 8th of September. Here are a few pics of the before and after. Some of you may remember seeing my origional post back in January. For those of you who didn't see it then, this is my first build and I did all the relief carving and 5 1/2 feet of Brass and German Silver wire inlay myself. This is my Pride and Joy. Should be in the family for some years to come. Before
patchbox.jpg

After
Patchbox-1.jpg

Before
Cheekpiece.jpg

After
Cheekpiece-1.jpg

Before
sideplate.jpg

After
RifleonBlanket2.jpg

RifleonBlanket1.jpg

Leftsideview.jpg

Frontoflock.jpg

EntryThimble-1.jpg

TriggerGuard.jpg

I really like the dark finish much better. What a beautiful rifle. I would be very proud too.
Idaho PRB

wow is that beautiful now. I dont really like light colors either. How in the heck you could sand the finish out of all the carving is a mystery. Looks great! :thumbsup:

Great work Pegesus59. You're absolutely right about the darker brown looking better than the blonde. It shows off the detail much better and certainly provides a much better contrast for your inlays.
:bow: :bow:

Twisted_1in66

Sorry, but I liked the lighter finish on the gun much better. It makes all the carving details much easier to see and appreciate. With the darker finish, it just looks like all the other guns in the racks.( even when it is not!) :nono: :shocked2: :hmm:

I like the darker color much better. It brings out the grain better and makes the carving flow more.

A word of caution about using Chromium Trioxide. If just Chromium Trioxide is used the rifle may take on a green tint with time. When I used CT for a stain I would put a coat of reddish stain on top of the CT. The rifle would be a little redder at first but as the CT broke down to Chromium Dioxide, the green color would mix with the red to give a deeper brown color.

I like it ,the darker stain lets the wire work stand out...very nice.
you've got a winner! :thumbsup:

Back