• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Englander..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vervillev

32 Cal.
Reaction score
aat-393_1.jpg Ordered this from TOTW and it should arrive today. 50 caliber, possibly older model. Have wanted one for a long time and finally have one!

Wonderful gun and very versatile with the interchangeable barrels! If Smith & Wesson were serious about serving the muzzleloading community, they would bring this gun back.

I recently got one from TOW also. Only had chance to shoot 10 rounds through it. Once dialed in it put 3 on a quarter at 25 yards.
Also picked up a Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter 58. Shoots minis like a laser.

I hope to get out and bang a few down range soon. It's been so wet and soggy here that getting out is a chore. Looking forward to making smoke soon!

Those are nice. I have used one in .50 and have the 12 ga. barrel. I have mostly used the latter. I had the LOP set and the 12 ga. breaks clays well.

It's a "larger" rifle compared to my CVA Mountaineer which is lighter than the T/C. The rifle came with a steel ramrod that adds weight forward but not by much. I ordered a hickory ramrod for it from TOTW to help balance it out some. Plus add to it's appearance as well.

Very Nice! Have fun!! I just picked up one from a gentleman on Gunbroker. What have you all been using for powder / projectile combination? I wanted to use the Lee REAL 255gr conical but I heard good things about round balls and power belts....

Very Nice! Have fun!! I just picked up one from a gentleman on Gunbroker. What have you all been using for powder / projectile combination? I wanted to use the Lee REAL 255gr conical but I heard good things about round balls and power belts....
Our journey into muzzleloaders began a lot of years ago when I stumbled into a bunch of deeply discounted New Englander kits at a local gun store and bought three of them for me and my sons. Our emphasis has been for optimizing hunting opportunity rather than historical.

I used to use the 370gr Maxi Ball slathered with TC Bore Butter over 100gr of Pyrodex RS in mine, sighted in for 3 or 4 inches high at 100 yards. A stout load and we have taken several deer with it. Shoots into about 4 or 5 inches at 100 yards with the 1-48 twist of the New Englander. Then the same sight settings puts a PRB over 45 gr of Pyrodex RS into the center of the target at 50 yards.

Unfortunately, since I picked up a couple of Black Mountain Magnums my New Englanders are pretty much safe queens. The BMM is a New Englander with a 1-28 twist, a recoil pad, and an additional reinforcing through screw from the tang to the trigger guard. In the BMM this same Maxi Ball load shoots into 1 1/2 or 2 inches at 100 yards. Haven't tried the PRB and I have my doubts.

Finally, I concur with the praise of the 12ga barrel for these guns. I used mine lot's before I got my Pedersoli's. Guess some of us just can't get enough of these things:

PB180002.JPG

I owned a TC black mountain magnum up until a few years ago.
Gifted it to a good friend.
That rifle was very accurate with the TC maxi hunter bullets, 275 grains, with 110 grains of Goex 2f powder. My best shot ever with it was about 100 yards. Dropped a doe in her tracks.
My gun had the Williams fiber optic sights.

My first BP. Walked into a gun shop and it was in their Floow display rack for $125. 54 cal. Bought it and about $100 in accessories. Enjoy shooting it. Don’t know if it’s the gun or me that isn’t too accurate. Have target set about 50 yards from my back porch and lucky to get 6” groups from a rest. Would like to switch to peep sight but don’t know which is best. Nice gun

Back