• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Englander lock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardtimes

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the TC New Englander and Renegade/Hawken locks are the same? I bought a used New Englander and the hammer comes in to contact with the cup on the tang. The lock seems to function fine. The hammer does not match the ones on my other New Englanders, it appears to be a Hawken hammer. I am guessing I can just remove a little material from the cup or the hammer and evening will be fine?

Thanks
Ray

They're the same lock body/plate and internals.
To my knowledge, T/C made 2 hammers, one with the hammer spur (thumb thing) straight, and another where the spur is tipped out to the side to clear a scope.
Ya, you can remove some of the metal around the cup and still be OK, not too thin though,,it's there to stop pieces of the detonated cap from becoming sharp little pieces of flying shrapnel.

If this is an unaltered gun, you did not change or mix up locks with another gun, TC will make it right for free. Don’t mess with it, send it in with a note explaining the problem.
I suspect you do not have the original lock.

I am guessing it has been altered. I bought it used, without seeing it in person. I saw pics, but you know how that goes. I will figure something out. I have a few New Englanders so I could always use the barrel on another stock.

Necchi, Thanks for the heads up on the material on the cup and the different hammers. Anybody know if there is a difference in the hammers as far as the section that strikes the nipple. Are both hammers angled the same?

Thanks
Ray

I have three Renegades and two TC Hawkens. Of the five, two have the newer style hammers. All of them strike about the same spot and I can swap the locks around with no problem.

Back