• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Englander help needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a New Englander to scratch the itch I've had since getting rid of the Renegade I bought back in the '80's. As everyone knows the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. I read an article about polishing the tumbler to get the weight down. My question is how to you disassemble to get to the tumbler ? I see the screw holding the hammer and another on the opposite side. Not being familiar with side lock I don't need parts flying everywhere when I go taking it apart. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I saw the instructions and they are detailed and something I can handle. But he shows what to do after it's apart. My question being how do you get it apart and if there is a chance of something flying off on disassembly. Do you remove the tang screws ? The screw on the left side or the hammer screw ?

One more dumb question. How do I separate the lock assembly from the stock? I removed the tang and the screw on the left side that appears to go into the lock. The lock won’t budge, is it a really tight fit that may require a little tapping to get loose?

Yes they can be that snug. Put the bolt back snug, then loosen it about a turn & tap on the head of it with a screwdriver handle or small hammer to loosen it in the mortice. Between that and maybe a little jiggle or two & it should come on out.

Thanks to everyone’s help I got it apart, cleaned up . I just bought it and the lock had oil running off it . Only one problem, I lost the fly. Any ideas on where one can be found ?

Back