• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New DeerStalker Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I'm just one week into this forum, so if this is not appropriate, or misplaced just let me know.
Received my first ML (ever) today. This was planned 40 yrs ago, but life took me in a different direction. Persistence paid off. Would like to shoot it tomorrow, but I'm burying someone in the morning & running to Dick's for powder (still waiting on delivery of powder from Graf's).
Question - I thought I saw on this forum a suggestion for treating the wood, but I could be wrong. Whatever it was, the advise was not to use linseed oil. Can someone tee me up on what is appropriate, if anything. Thank you

It's factory,, the wood is finished, you don't have to do anything.
Just make darn sure you clean the barrel and fire channel really well, till white patches come out white. A de-greasing agent like brake cleaner really helps getting that heavy factory packing/shelf grease out.

It's factory,, the wood is finished, you don't have to do anything.
Just make darn sure you clean the barrel and fire channel really well, till white patches come out white. A de-greasing agent like brake cleaner really helps getting that heavy factory packing/shelf grease out.
Thanks, John. I guess I should have also said 'I don't care for the color of the factory stock...' That's the point of my question I failed to mention. I'll definitely take your advise on the break cleaner. I was wondering about that. Thanks

I'm just one week into this forum, so if this is not appropriate, or misplaced just let me know.
Received my first ML (ever) today. This was planned 40 yrs ago, but life took me in a different direction. Persistence paid off. Would like to shoot it tomorrow, but I'm burying someone in the morning & running to Dick's for powder (still waiting on delivery of powder from Graf's).
Question - I thought I saw on this forum a suggestion for treating the wood, but I could be wrong. Whatever it was, the advise was not to use linseed oil. Can someone tee me up on what is appropriate, if anything. Thank you
You said you don't like the stock color. I found my Lyman GPR to be too dark. I rubbed it lightly with a rag and alcohol and got it a shade or two lighter. Not a woodworker but I don't know any other way to change it but strip the finish and start over. Not worth it to me.

You said you don't like the stock color. I found my Lyman GPR to be too dark. I rubbed it lightly with a rag and alcohol and got it a shade or two lighter. Not a woodworker but I don't know any other way to change it but strip the finish and start over. Not worth it to me.
I rubbed some linseed oil on it and brought out the grain. It looks better. I'm getting used to the color... I guess Lyman made it a more natural color (color of dirt) for a reason. Thanks for the suggestion, and I agree, it's not worth the effort to change it beyond what I have with the linseed.

Latest posts

Back