• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New cleaning mixture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don hepler

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Some of our clubs, shooting members, are using a mix of equal amounts of Murphy's oil soap, Olive oil, and Peroxide to clean their flintlock rifles. The claim is that it works so good and reduces the clean time.

Anyone tried this mix? I bought the ingredients today, but have not tried it. Long rifles are a little more work, than hooked breech guns, so it might be worth the try. Actually, I already had two of the ingredients.

Murphey's , peroxide and alcohol that's my mix....I just ran out and need to mix some more so I will try it with just plain water.

Don't know why they are putting olive oil in their mix...I tried adding oil to my mix once and it wouldn't stay emulsified.....the oil kept separating out.

The "magic mix" I use is warm water and a squirt of dish soap followed by rinses with warm water. Cleaning my flinter takes about 5 minutes from cleaning to lubing.

I have been using dihyrodgen monoxide as a major component of my cleaning solutions for as long as I can remember. The other components have changed over the years and I have finally settled on Dawn dish detergent as the only additive.

Dihydrogen monoxide is readily available and quite effective but like any chemical should be used with caution.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
may cause severe burns.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

If you decide you might like to try it yourself I strongly recommend first reading the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) which can be found here:
http://phoebe.colorado.edu/MSDS/Archive/Water/MSDS-Water-DHMO.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
"I mixes well with scotch too."

Its use in conjunction with adult beverages may lead to embarrassing situations and severe headaches the following morning and has been known to destroy marriages and lead to incarceration. :grin:

I've been away for a while. Whatever happened to Stumpkiller's Moose Milk? Is that mixture out of fashion now?

colorado clyde said:
jfaldo said:
Peroxide is an oxidizer! Wouldn't have it anywhere near my rifles :td:

Ever wonder what role potassium nitrate plays in black powder?

Well, I don't think it is CLEANING .... :haha:

I use a cap of Murphy's and hot water for cleaning at home.

To wipe the barrel after a few shots, I use a patch sprayed with equal measures of Murphy's, water and IPA (at the range, use a spit patch otherwise).

Back