• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'New Cannon'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It's not new, but it is to me. The previous owner had it 15 years in his living room. No place big enough it keep it elsewhere. It was given to him by a friend's grandpa for helping move contents of a long-forgotten storage space.

I have you guys to blame - I sure don't need a cannon! It's all because of YOU!!!!

I bought it off the big auction site and hopefully it'll arrive next week sometime.

It appears to be a traditions Napoleon - .69 - though the only marking on it is SPAIN. It sure looks like the Traditions Napoleons I've seen. One of the nice things about it is it isn't plated. I've heard the nickel plating isn't durable and flakes off, and I'm not fond of the gold plating.

It's missing the mop, brush and bucket. Any idea what i can to do replace them? The bucket shouldn't be too difficult, nor the other two, come to think of it if I get creative. Let me know what you've done. Save me the time of recreating the wheel.

The metal has some 'patina' so I'll be cleaning that up. Haven't decided if I'll leave it in the white or blue it.

The tires (the metal bands) are kind of sloppy on the wheels from what I could see in the photos. It's lived in the Bay Area, so it's possible the wood shrunk a bit. I'm thinking I may have to put a shim between the tire and wheel to fill the gap.

The last item is the touch hole. You can see where it was intended to go, but no hole there. What size should I drill it?

All I've got for photos is what I've seen on the auction site. I'm not much for pictures, but I'll see what I can do once it gets here.

Interesting point, hawkeye. Now I'm interested in the history of these things and how to date them. Do you figure this was a kit since the touch hole wasn't drilled?

Who knows how old this one is... the previous owner had it 15 years and it was probably in the storage locker that long, or longer, before he got it. It could be 40 or 50 years old. Guess I'll have to do some research and see what turns up.

CVA sold the cannons finished and as kits but I believe the touchhole was drilled in the kits too. I don't remember for sure when they hit the market but I think it was in the mid 70s. I doubt you will ever be able to date it with no markings. I wonder if any others imported these over the years.

I am not "You", he is one of the other guys. So no blame here.

I use 2mm firework/cannon fuse. It is getting harder to find, but still on the internet if searched. Usually comes in 15 or 20 ft roll. A slightly less than 3 inch fuse is ample for firing. With the 2mm fuse a 3/32 vent hole works fine. Would not recomed the 3mm fuse, to large and would require a larger vent hole.

Good luck with your new to you cannon, should be a fun project to get the way you wish and make the couple loading tools that are needed.

Found some responses on the forum here about the CVA cannons. Google isn't coming up with much history, and going to the CVA site only gives their current offerings - mostly in-line BP guns.

According to one guy who got a kit and Tfoley, the touch holes weren't drilled. Evidently, that way they couldn't be labeled firearms or some such. Evidently the kits were sold world wide. Also, the earlier poster said his cannon had a bore of .75.

Also, after reading some responses to earlier threads about bluing/paint/leaving in the white, leaving it in the white might be a good idea.

Thanks, Rich! I'll search for 2mm fuse and drill it 3/32.

dan - from what I've read, it's better to have the fuse slightly smaller than the touch hole. If the fuse is too tight it can possibly go out. Also, fouling can build up in the touch hole making it difficult to insert fuse for the next round.

I've watched a few vids on 2mm fuse and it seems to burn pretty well. It makes sense using the 2mm fuse (.080") in a 3/32" (.094") touch hole. I'd think the smaller the touch hole the better.

I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell this toy. Not sure what it's good for besides smoke and noise - but it does seem like fun.

"dan - from what I've read, it's better to have the fuse slightly smaller than the touch hole. If the fuse is too tight it can possibly go out. Also, fouling can build up in the touch hole making it difficult to insert fuse for the next round."

Very true. I just had those problems with a golf ball mortar I recently purchased.

"Not sure what it's good for besides smoke and noise"

What more do you need? :)

Do what ever you want. I'm just saying what works for me. Remember to use the flash hole prick before each shot. Also, 1/8" fuse is not always 1/8". Measure the flash hole and let that determine what size fuse to use. Good Luck!

Captndan - That's what I've read, fuse isn't always the diameter it's promoted. I don't know if that's generally less or more, but if more it wouldn't fit if it's a close fit already.

True, the touch hole size would determine which fuse to get, however in this case, the touch hole hasn't been drilled yet. There's only a dimple where it's supposed to go.

then drill
Captndan - That's what I've read, fuse isn't always the diameter it's promoted. I don't know if that's generally less or more, but if more it wouldn't fit if it's a close fit already.

True, the touch hole size would determine which fuse to get, however in this case, the touch hole hasn't been drilled yet. There's only a dimple where it's supposed to go.drill
Buy enough fuse to last a long time. Measure the diameter of the fuse and drill the hole accordingly.

My Traditions 'Old Ironsides' cannon has a 3mm (1/8") touch hole and I nearly always use 2mm fuse bought from firework suppliers, from memory I think the burn rate is 1 cm per second. I do have a few feet of 3mm fuse but seldom use it.

Since I can drill the touch hole any size that pleases me, here's an interesting fact. A 3/32" hole has half the area of a 3mm.

What that means is that if I can get away with a 3/32" there will be a significant increase in compression. I'm guessing there could also be less gas cutting. Might as well start small - going bigger is easier than going smaller.

Have any of you ever removed the breech plug? Not saying I want to, just asking.

The cannon arrived a few days ago and looks good. I've sanded and smoothed the barrel. Polished the steel parts. so it's looking much much better. I made replacement steel bands that were missing on the swab and brush. At this point, all I'm missing is the actual swab from the swab pole. Haven't figured out yet how I'll make that part. Appears the original Traditions guns came with two brushes, instead of a brush and a swab.

Friday I'll get together with a machinist friend and drill the touch hole. I could do it on the drill press, but it's an excuse to get together with my friend.

I don't have a 69 caliber mold and haven't seen any used ones for sale. The Lee molds are cheap enough, but I'd prefer steel over aluminum. A sloppy measurement of the bore with a caliper gives me close to .70.

Glad your model cannon came in safe and sound and also was up to your expectations. Since you have gotten right to work, sounds like it has a better home now. While my model is only 58 caliber, I use 45gr FFF to make it go bang with a patched lead ball. Have tried 65gr but really not needed for the smaller caliber. I make hair curling paper packets for the powder. Fuse in first, pack of powder, and patched lead ball. After first shot I clean bore with one of the two tools shown. One is a spring type and the other is machined. Never really get anything much, but just to be safe. Like you said 3/32 for the vent is a plenty as shown. Good luck
2 (1).JPG

2 (2).JPG

3.jpg

Last edited:
I really want a cannon, but alas the boss lady says NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Even told her a little one would be O.K. she rolls her eyes at at me and says WHAT DID I TELL YOU. 😒
I am also under a moratorium of no cannons.

Not like I am asking to get a Lincoln Gun. Just a small mountain howitzer would be cool. Or a Napoleonic gun...the 12 pounder. :D

Latest posts

Back