• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New blue ridge rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up my second Flinter today went in to cabelas bargain cave. They had two blue ridge .54 cal for 560 a piece. I thought that was a good deal. So I wandered the store thinking about it. Went back and asked if they could give me a better price and she said sure whipped out a calculator and said how's 420 I said sold. I've wanted one for awhile l almost bought the other one to resale.

Yes Thornton they also had a Brown Bess and a 3band enfield. If only I had money :doh:

A005B167-4809-4E5D-8EC0-F6538DC01961.jpg

That fella will last you years as long as you do your part. Mine's going on 10 and looks brand new.

If you want any advice on sprucing her up... let me know. I took a brand new blue ridge and turned it into a custom re-build. Hopefully your lock is better functioning than my factory offering was. The lock now hangs on my shop wall.

There are multiple things you can do to improve an already good gun. If you have no desire to re-work it, that's fine as she'll serve you well. :hatsoff:

uno676 said:
Anybody have any advice on this gun ? Loads and such

Some folks like to open the touch hole slightly, but I don't remember the size of drill. I've never done mine and have no complaints.

Mine is really happiest with 80 grains of 3f Goex, same in the pan, .530 balls with .018 ticking patches lightly lubed using TOW mink tallow. Keep the pan and flint wiped clean between shots, especially on humid days.

Only "hitch" in my system has to do with the flints, and it's not really a hitch. Just a successful standard procedure:

I mount my flint bevel-up so it's clearing the frizzen by about 1/8" on half cock. To sharpen the flint, I lower it down against the closed frizzen, then press on it to "knap" it gently every 5 shots or so. Doing that with English flints, I usually get 40-50 shots before replacing or doing a full knap-job on a flint.

My Blue Ridge ,54 is now 6months old. Seems to like 90 gr. 2f goex, .530 rb, .015 spit lubed patch. I am still experimenting with Dutch Shultz lube system with good results at 6:1 water:balistol mixture dried flat.

BrownBear said:
uno676 said:

Some folks like to open the touch hole slightly, but I don't remember the size of drill. I've never done mine and have no complaints.

Mine is really happiest with 80 grains of 3f Goex, same in the pan, .530 balls with .018 ticking patches lightly lubed using TOW mink tallow. Keep the pan and flint wiped clean between shots, especially on humid days.

Only "hitch" in my system has to do with the flints, and it's not really a hitch. Just a successful standard procedure:

I mount my flint bevel-up so it's clearing the frizzen by about 1/8" on half cock. To sharpen the flint, I lower it down against the closed frizzen, then press on it to "knap" it gently every 5 shots or so. Doing that with English flints, I usually get 40-50 shots before replacing or doing a full knap-job on a flint.

MY GAWD YOU GOTTA BIG PAN :rotf: :blah:

azmntman said:
BrownBear said:
uno676 said:

MY GAWD YOU GOTTA BIG PAN :rotf: :blah:

It's because my hands and feet are so big. :rotf:

uno676 said:

Mine shot very well with 90 gr of 2F, a .530 round ball, and .015 Oxyoke prelubed patch. My .54 Frontier was responsible for my longest kill shot at 115 yards (furthest I ever shot at big game) with a pass through ribs on both sides heart shot. A shooter for sure. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back