• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New barrel info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowjock

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my barrel in today to start on my Chambersburg School Rifle. I am building a flint 45 cal. It is a GMB with. I had them install the breech plug and match mark it and then take it out. A couple of questions about this as to starting this rifle. 1) The breech plug when screwed in finger tight, is only one flat off from the match mark. Doesn't this sound a little off? 2) While making this gun, what do you us to treat the inside of the barrel while working on the rifle through it building process? 3) I also notice that the lug on the breech plug is almost perfectly square, and by looking at guns during building, all I have seen seem to be tapered toward the bottom. Is this something that has to be done, or inlet it in as it is?

The threads should be fairly easily turned after they are broken free from their marked final fit. I just oil the barrel on the inside and don't usually worry about it (nothing should be on the inside to cause corrosion during the building process anyway). And finally taper the plug, you will end up with a nicer fit to wood. :thumbsup: :v

It should be 1/2 to 1 flat off when you snug it down by hand.
If you don't have a builders book that tells ya about tapering the tang & etc., I suggest ya buy The Gunsmiths of Grenville County, as it is WELL worth the money. A picture is worth a thousand words & there are Good illistrations in there & it is a very detailed book. That is why it is about twice as thick as most builders books. Get the spiral bound one so it will lay flat on the workbench.

:thumbsup:

I do have the book the gunsmith of greenville county, but I did not read anywhere in it about the breech plug and how far it would be off the flats being hand tight? I guess since this is a "new born", I might be a little over protective....lol. I am going to mark the end with die later and see how it fits, then go from there.

Why be concerned where the breechplug ends up when "finger tight" seeing the important location is aligning w/ the top flat and most importantly, bearing on the shoulder at the bore. Due to varying thread fits, "finger tight" is irrelevant and I am only concerned w/ the location when a 12" wrench is applied. The taper on the plug and tang is only 2-3 degrees, but really helps in obtaining a neat inlet. I take it that "the one flat off" when "finger tight" is before the marks are reached but if you've gone past the marks, then you've got a problem?....Fred

My only concern is the final fit of the breech to the shoulder of the barrel, and that I will find out when I put some die on it and seat it to the mark. And yes, the finger tightening was with the mark "before" it matched. I am new to this and I am sure I will ask some if you like to call them stupid questions.....lol...but to me it was a generic question as part of learning from others. I do appreciate everyones comments and suggestions, that is how we learn.

Back