• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Baby!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, here is the new baby!!

It's done but not really finished. The base needs to have some more work done to it.. but we were in a hurry to see it actually shoot. Its golf ball caliber and does a great job of heaving them :: The lil' V, on the top of the tube is a powder trap.< we used loose powder, since we didn't have any fuse>. Makes trying to fire it a bit easier. I'll make a linstock,to make things a lot safer..

GBMortar.jpg

Its only about 6.5" tall and the tube measures about 3" at the muzzle. The recessed powder chamber, is about 7/8" in diameter. when we bored it, we ground the cutter to make a hemispherical seat.

bore.jpg

Now I need to collect a few more projectiles!! :crackup:

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Metalshaper,
Nice job! :applause:
I'll bet that a hoot to shoot!You can out drive Tiger Woods on every tee now with that thing. ::

Now I need to collect a few more projectiles!! :crackup:

Respect Always
Metalshaper

The golf ball is dimpled, great mini-pockets for holding lube... :hmm:

Nice job on the "V", makes a convenient powder dam... :thumbsup:

What is the preset elevation of your new toy?

Halftail,

Forget the Tiger,, With 250 grains pushing that golf ball I can put the woopin' on him and John Daley,,Combined! ::

Musket man..

Lube holding dimples?? I'll have to think on that? ::

The powder dam, came almost as an afterthought. We we going to test it, using loose powder, and the idea just kinda came to me. Works out real well! The touch hole was drilled in two diameters. The main diameter is 1/8" and then the actual touch hole was drilled 'through' with a 1/16" bit.

The elevation is 45 degrees. or as close as we could come. When we started on the base/sled, we were using Marlow's table saw..so it's pretty close.

I'm hoping to get all the 'finish work' done, in the next week or so. We have a rondy coming up at the end of August..and it will make its true debut there!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Me likes!

What type of steel did you use? How much would one of these cost? I do play some golf, and the ammo is all over the place ::

Your gonna replace those phillips head screws :: Carriage bolts would look super :thumbsup:

I want one!

Looks fun. I figure that's the perfect modern projectile. Easy to come by and plausible deniability if your neighbor 40 houses down finds one in his kitchen surrounded by broken glass. :haha:

Mule Brain..

the piece of steel was a section of 1137 shafting. The company we got it from, threw it out as a drop. My buddy is building his pseudo-Parrot < 1.25" bore> from the same piece. The lil' stub, that become the mortar, was what was left over after he had shaped his barrel.

The phillips screws, will deffinately be changed. :winking: The base/sled will also undergo a bit of trimming and cleaning up. We were so happy to have it done.. we just got it secure enough to test fire!

The total cost,, :eek: was about $15.00.. the price of a 2X6, and the 1.75" endmill..everything else,, was just our time
and effort..

Respect Always
Metalshaper

< Of course, we'd sell them for about $400-500 :crackup: >

Back