• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New acquisition and questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just recently picked up this German made double cape gun, according to the markings on the locks it was built in Heilbronn Germany by H. Hellmann, I assume from the lack of proof marks it was manufactured before the 1891 proof laws came about, I found it to be a very interesting piece and in excellent shooting condition, the bores are beautiful and the locks and trigger are smooth as glass, now to the bores, the left tube is 16 gauge smooth, the right is 16 gauge with eight shallow grooves rifling cut at one half turn to it’s thirty inch length, does anyone know it this originally would have been shot with a patched round ball, an over bore size ball engaged in the rifling or possibly a type of bullet, conical mini ball type round etc, I plan to shoot it soon with shot and probably patched round ball but I’d be interested in knowing the original projectile intended for the rifled barrel and possibly duplicate it, any info on the type gun and builder is appreciated also.

CB7B0AD9-CB89-4C44-B7FA-C67C531F8C90.jpeg
78C44793-2E09-4F32-B730-BE0A1A7D05A4.jpeg

I just recently picked up this German made double cape gun, according to the markings on the locks it was built in Heilbronn Germany by H. Hellmann, I assume from the lack of proof marks it was manufactured before the 1891 proof laws came about, I found it to be a very interesting piece and in excellent shooting condition, the bores are beautiful and the locks and trigger are smooth as glass, now to the bores, the left tube is 16 gauge smooth, the right is 16 gauge with eight shallow grooves rifling cut at one half turn to it’s thirty inch length, does anyone know it this originally would have been shot with a patched round ball, an over bore size ball engaged in the rifling or possibly a type of bullet, conical mini ball type round etc, I plan to shoot it soon with shot and probably patched round ball but I’d be interested in knowing the original projectile intended for the rifled barrel and possibly duplicate it, any info on the type gun and builder is appreciated also.

View attachment 117893View attachment 117894
Gorgeous! And so well cared for!
I don’t know but I would suspect a patched ball would suit the rifled barrel. Although I also suspect a bullet of that bore size would stabilize well with a hefty charge of 1.5f Swiss in that 1 in 60” twist. It would surely rock your world upon firing and I wouldn’t want to torture such a beautiful rifle that way.

What does that beauty weigh? and I'm guessing the knob below the the trigger guard is for a sling?
I haven’t weighed it yet but I’m guessing around seven pounds or so comparing it to my Pedersoli 10 gauge double, the button on the stock is for a leather sling with a slit cut in it, it has a sling swivel mount under the barrel on the other end, a leather sling came with it but not installed.

Back