• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NEPR Summary from Dave and Arlene Coughlin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davecoughlin

36 Cal.
Reaction score
This year's Northeastern Primitive Rendezvous is over and judging from the smiles I saw on folks during the past week, I think very successful.

This year's staff organized a full week's worth of activities that gave everyone a chance to participate.

The Alabama Hunt Club from Medina, New York, helped run the range and provided many challenging shooting opportunities. Shooting events were enhanced by creative rifle and smoothbore woods walks organized by Brook and Carol Aldrich and Dave Pike and John Claussen.

Camp music was organized by Lila Suchocki. Not only did she bring together many camp musicians, but she also brought 10 or so young folks together to learn some songs that they were able to serenade us with at camp meeting. We need to remember that kids are our future and if they don't carry on after us our hobby will die out.

Rick Haven put together a series of camp games for NEPR participants that included, Farkel, Cribbage, Whisk and everyone's favorite "Tip the Cat". "Tip the Cat" is a precursor to baseball and cricket. Two games were played in the lower field and I can't remember when I've had so much fun. I hope that "Tip the Cat" will become a rondy staple like the highland games and "court".

Children had many activities centering around various scavenger hunts for things found in nature. For sure there were very few kids that were bored this year, and those that were sat in the shade and played in the sand box area, where they could be heard playing at castles, pirates and other imaginary scenarios. Hats off to Chet Sergey and Sara Bunnell for their hard word at keeping kids busy!!

Late in the week Clyde Fisher asked for some time off at the range so that he could attend the wedding of his daughter Sara to Mike Libby. Kathy Fisher and the whole family put a lot of effort into making the wedding a fun time for all, and the pot luck that followed was fantastic! Clyde and Kathy have helped out so much over the years that it was nice to see them take a break from the range and gate duties.

We were lucky to have Henry Church offer to bring his mules and wagon into camp for the week. Henry’s help with the ice and garbage added a bit of authenticity to camp, and Henry’s singing as he traveled through camp was far more pleasant to hear than diesel powered trucks that we see in many events.

Ruth Py and her husband Joe were in attendance. Ruth had put together a collection of folks that presented a series of seminars that couldn’t be beat. Her connections throughout the rendezvous and reenacting community helped to bring in talents ranging from star gazing to the bread making talents of Blue Hen Sutlers (Regina and Michael Albert from Wilmington Delaware). I wish I had Ruth’s energy or could cook like Smiling Joe!

I had hoped that others would step forward and commit to running NEPR in "08 and "09, but none did. I had several folks ask me about sites they thought might work, and about how hard was it to be Booshway, but no full commitment beyond '07 as of now.

I hope that those of you that are thinking of running a NRLHF event will realize that there is a large set of very skilled individuals and groups that are willing to help, if not run rondy activities. With plenty of advanced planning time and help of Foundation delegates like Larry Clark and Joe Crimmins (Eastern Delegate) organizing an event like NEPR is "doable". Being Booshway is frustrating, hard, and confusing at times, but if you accept help and advice and remember that the goal is to have fun, being Booshway is highly "doable". I recommend it to all!!!!!

We have passed the torch onto the "Little Beard" club and '07 Booshway Gary Cottle who will stage NEPR in the Finger Lake Region of New York. Those of you that missed the '04 NEPR in Filmore, New York should plan on attending. The Little Beard club was very active in '04 and will put on a great event for '07.

I thank all you who attended this year's NEPR. You made it a worthwhile experience for me and my staff. Remember above all else. Rendezvous is ours and it takes all of us working together to make rondy fun. I look forward to working with others in making more fun in future events!!

Fair winds and following seas,

Dave Coughlin (Jester)
Booshway ’06 NEPR

Jester said:
Hats off to Chet Sergey and Sara Bunnell for their hard word at keeping kids busy!!

Amen to that! And :hatsoff: to Lila & Missy Clark, too!

Camping with a 5 year old boy & a 6 year old girl, we usually have our hands full! At this event, my wife was actually able to attend a couple of seminars (fire making & rope making) and make more women folk friends and I was able to shoot, get a knife throwing lesson, etc. Not that we were looking for babysitting... but the kids had a BLAST - doing music with Lila, nature walks and "archaeological digs" with Chet, "walking the wool" with Missy, not to mention playing in the sand pit (and cooling off in the stream!). They're making life-long memories - thank you again, Dave & staff! :applause: :applause:

Many thank Jester and everyone else that made this event happen. Spent about 6 hours Sunday and 6 more the following Wednesday. All the people were great, very helpful and willing answer any questions we had.

Wish I'd have spent more time looking up you forum members. So much was going on that I didn't know were to start.

Can't wait to set up camp next year and spend more time with you all.

Back