• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Nell Spoke This Afternoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GobblerKnob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Perhaps this should be included in the Irrefutable Proof post. :grin:

I used 50 grains of 3 F Goex with a patched round ball. I hit this hen just above the crop, where the neck and breast meet. Right where the feathers are somewhat askew in the picture. She never knew what hit her.

Nell is a .45 caliber Blue Ridge rifle by Pedersoli. I have a .32 build planned for myself, just to hunt turkeys with, but I just can't seem to find any time to get started on it! Rick

Fall2006Hen.jpg

Nice shot, and a great picture too!!
The pot adds a lot to it! :winking:
Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

The topic of hunting turkeys with a rifle has been the cause of many heated debates. In Pennsylvania, it's still lawful to use one.

I wouldn't use a centerfire rifle on a turkey but don't think twice about taking Nell. I'd prefer to use a smaller caliber (thus the .32 caliber build I have planned) but when I bought this gun, I reasoned that if Pennsylvania ever made it unlawful to hunt turkeys with a rifle, I could still use it to hunt deer with.

We must wear display 100 square inches of flourescent orange at your stationary calling location. After the birds have seen some pressure, they sometimes hang up just outside of good shotgun range when they spot the displayed orange.

I use reduced loads and let them come as close as they will before I take a shot. I try to set up so that when they come into view, they are well within range to try to eliminate the orange factor. I shot this bird at 42 yards. Last year, I shot one at 20.

All I know is black powder and white smoke make for one heck of an exciting turkey hunt! Have a safe and exciting season, all ~ Rick

Give us a little more info on the call in the picture. :winking:
Some of us are turkey hunters, and that kinda stuff's important!! :grin:

Congrats on your kill! I have the same rifle in .32, but we can't shoot turks with a rifle in Ky.

Congrats again and a great pic.
wess

That call was made by a friend of mine from Gulfport, Mississippi. As it may be construed as advertising, if you want his name, send me a PM.

I have killed a bunch of turkeys with this call. It's a slate over slate with a spalted maple pot. The striker is an exotic wood, which may be bubinga. Whatever it is, the two together is a deadly combo! Rick

Back