• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need some Kasenit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimikinz

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I need to harden one frizzen. I'm having a heck of a time doing it. It won't spark at all. I was going to try Kasenit, but everywhere I call is out, because they apparently have gone under.

Anybody want to sell enough for one frizzen?

Dixie and track of the wolf used to have it in stock. I haven't ordered any for several years but youcould check their web site. You might try Log Cabin in Lodi as well. :idunno:

Keep looking with the ideas provided, if your search doesn't come up with anything send me a PM.

I tried the stuff on a factory CVA/Traditions pistol frizzen and it didn't help.

Midway, dixie, Log cabin shop, and a few other metal supply places were out of stock. Brownells had their own "brownells case hardening compound", but no Kasenit brand.

Would the Brownell material be the same?

So will it not work on a Frizzen? Do I need to send my lock out and have it done for me?

Thanks,
Jim

What kind of frizzen is it?

Technically, the modern American frizzens of 1095 don't need it, but I've always case hardened them with Kasenit (and tempered afterwards) and gotten excellent results.

If it is one of the Indian guns or something with an iron/mild steel frizzen you need to case harden it, but I wonder how deep it will go, and you might need to have it seriously pack hardened.

Now, as to your lock not sparking, that is not necessarily a problem with the frizzen hardness...

Im afraid Kasenit have been out of business for some time English health & safety I expect if you have car boot sales over there keep your eyes open ill have some to another good product gone.

Jim Anderson said:
So will it not work on a Frizzen? Do I need to send my lock out and have it done for me?

Thanks,
Jim

Like he said, it will harden the surface beyond the normal carbon content of the steel but if 1095 then case-hardening is not needed. Did you check with the file test? A new fine file should just about slide across the frizzen like it is glass. Whatever method you use to harden the frizzen, they can be too hard especially at the pivot so you need to temper that area at least to straw and better to blue.

There is another product called "Cherry Red" that Midway sells, that is supposed to be a "Kasenit substitute". I have no idea whether or not it works as well...

Centaur Forge sells a case hardening compound called "Quick Hard",no experience with it but it's expensive at about $54 a pound.

Go to Log Cabin Supply. They have Kasenit for about 8-9 dollars.
Got it last Feb. at our gun show.
Works very well on frizzens but need map gas or oxy acetelene to get the frizzen hot enough.
At least that is what John Schippers has used for the last few decades. I trust him on that.

Cheers, DonK

For those interested, the MSDS says Kasenit is 46% Sodium Ferrocyanide, Na4 Fe(CN)6.
It also contains carbon black. http://hazard.com/msds/f2/bdb/bdbls.html

Sodium Ferrocyanide is also known as yellow prussiate of soda.
Despite the presence of cyanide, Sodium Ferrocyanide is not terribly toxic in small amounts and it is used in common table and road salt to prevent caking.

The MSDS recommends using Kasenit in a well ventilated area which is probably recommended to be on the safe side.

Interestingly, the MSDS does not give the warning that is mentioned in Wikipedia, that information source saying that the cyanide is tightly bonded to the sodium but cautions that if it is mixed with an acid, cyanide gas will be released.
(In other words, do NOT mix any acids into Kasenit unless you want to create your own gas chamber). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_ferrocyanide

I've used Kasenit for a number of years and it does work very well and it is easy to use.
I often use it to harden the slotted screw heads on my rifles.

The case depth it creates is VERY THIN so don't expect it to last a long time if it is used on a frizzen for hardening.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is from a Siler lock kit. Says it needs to be hardened, and It seems pretty soft with the file test. I don't have OXY/acetaline, but I do have a little brick kiln and a torch...can you tell I'm very ignorant of metallurgy?

I shouda just gotten the ready-to go lock for a little more money...it would make up for the $30 in hardening compound...this is turning into a real PITA... :doh: :rotf:

Maybe I'll just buy a deluxe siler and keep this for spare parts....

If it is rom a siler lock kit from chambers it will harden without Kasenit.
try a welding supply. If you can't get Kasenit Brownells is probably better anyway. Brownell doesn't have any inferior products that I know of.

Back