• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some Capper advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossyoak1957

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
Need some input on a capper that works for # 11 cap,picked up a very nice 1990's era Lyman Great Plains Rifle 50cal. a week ago,needed a straight line capper so I drove round trip 40 miles to the only Muzzleloader shop around,he gave me a Ted Cash universal straight line capper...well it's pretty a piece of junk, I filled it up with caps shook it a little and half of the caps flipped on there side,tried to do a little tuning on it and just made it worse.
Is there cap size specific cappers?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Here's a picture of the Plains rifle.
MUZZLE LOADER 1.jpg

MUZZLE LOADER 2.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, those are a PITA.
Tip; Once ya load them all proper, that slidey part is a lock nut, yer sposta move it down as the caps dispense.

Order a Ted Cash Rifle Capper. Or that universal one like @painter uses,,( I have both)
You can dump half a tin of caps in either one,, then, while it's on a flat surface(table), then just shake it a bit and all the caps turn upright. Then the lid closes and keeps them from flipping.
I watched a friend try to load the rifle capper one time,, he was sitting there with a tweezers grabbing each wayward cap and turning them upright.
I said "Watch this",, I slid it over to me on the table,, and tapped the side with my finger a few times,, all the caps lined up proper.
His jaw dropped an inch! "Oh Man!" he said, "I've been using this thing for 12yrs and never knew that!!"

Yeah, those are a PITA.
Tip; Once ya load them all proper, that slidey part is a lock nut, yer sposta move it down as the caps dispense.

Order a Ted Cash Rifle Capper. Or that universal one like @painter uses,,( I have both)
You can dump half a tin of caps in either one,, then, while it's on a flat surface(table), then just shake it a bit and all the caps turn upright. Then the lid closes and keeps them from flipping.
I watched a friend try to load the rifle capper one time,, he was sitting there with a tweezers grabbing each wayward cap and turning them upright.
I said "Watch this",, I slid it over to me on the table,, and tapped the side with my finger a few times,, all the caps lined up proper.
His jaw dropped an inch! "Oh Man!" he said, "I've been using this thing for 12yrs and never knew that!!"
I posted the wrong link. I use the rifle capper. Works like a charm!

I have two of the snail cappers -- one has #11 caps in it and the other has #10. Independent of which caps I put in which, one of them works great and almost entirely without fail. The other has a tendency to flip the caps over. I can't figure out what the problem is, but haven't yet spent a lot of time on it. I do notice that the springs are attached in slightly different ways. It drives me nuts.

But when these work, I think they're great. Hate to keep reloading the little in-line cappers every few minutes. 🙄

In my experience cappers are more of a nuisance than helpers. Straight line ones are good when shooting a C&B revolver. The only rifle cappers I have had success with are homemade leather. Simply scrap leather with proper size holes on edge and a slit to relieve the cap. I'll take some pics and post tomorrow.

In my experience cappers are more of a nuisance than helpers. Straight line ones are good when shooting a C&B revolver. The only rifle cappers I have had success with are homemade leather. Simply scrap leather with proper size holes on edge and a slit to relieve the cap. I'll take some pics and post tomorrow.
Thank you I like the idea

I do like the Ted Cash oval and snail cappers. These are great as that quick shake of the capper will have the caps flip right side up. The size is good to handle the caps to solidly press the cap on the cone. The caps do rattle in the cappers so, it's the leather one for hunting. Or I avoid cap rattle altogether by taking the flint lock.

I’ve used a couple of CVA straight line cappers for the last forty some years on revolvers, pistols and rifles. They are cheap and not very glamorous but they have worked for me. I am relatively certain you can still find them on ebay and GB. Last ones I saw were around 10 bucks. My local shop still sells them.

The reason I went to the Ted Cash capper was the straight line capper I was using would dump caps on the ground.

Don't know the brand. I do know the Ted Cash Rifleman's capper doesn't spit caps everywhere.

The reason I went to the Ted Cash capper was the straight line capper I was using would dump caps on the ground.

Don't know the brand. I do know the Ted Cash Rifleman's capper doesn't spit caps everywhere.
I’ve had this with my Traditions in line capper. It’s because the cap behind the one just pushed is stuck under the spring so it doesn’t hold the one in use.

Part of this depends on what sort of shooting you're doing. If you're only likely to use a few caps (hunting), than something simple like just picking and pushing a cap by hand, or using a short leather strip for a few caps works well. If you're going to end up shooting 25 or 50 shots, then something of greater capacity and eliminating the need to handle each cap individually is much more attractive.

Part of this depends on what sort of shooting you're doing. If you're only likely to use a few caps (hunting), than something simple like just picking and pushing a cap by hand, or using a short leather strip for a few caps works well. If you're going to end up shooting 25 or 50 shots, then something of greater capacity and eliminating the need to handle each cap individually is much more attractive.
I'm going to be using it for hunting,I think I'm going to make some leather strap rigs.

Back