• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need some Capper advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002281323this product has been discontinued but it is what I use for hunting. It is great if you can find one. Like it because it’s not shiny like the brass ones. Gonna make a more traditional one like this
1646053591814.jpeg

have used a leather capper for over 35 years. The same one has worked great all these years. Shaped like a half moon...holes punched in close to the edge with a slit running from the hole to the edge. Works on all rifles and muskets , although not revolvers. Place cap over the nipple ,, slide it in place and pull the capper to the side. Only have to reload the capper after all 10 caps are used .

Makes sense to me.
Very few soldiers loaded from loose powder and ball. Ammo was mostly prepackaged in paper cartridges complete with percussion caps in the package contains the rounds. In the case of revolver rounds 7 caps to a six round paper parcel with a zip string for opening the package.

Or so I’ve read.

I have used the inline and the snail. I did have one inline type capper that was absolute trash. it was too tall in profile and the caps would tumble in it.

Good afternoon,
Need some input on a capper that works for # 11 cap,picked up a very nice 1990's era Lyman Great Plains Rifle 50cal. a week ago,needed a straight line capper so I drove round trip 40 miles to the only Muzzleloader shop around,he gave me a Ted Cash universal straight line capper...well it's pretty a piece of junk, I filled it up with caps shook it a little and half of the caps flipped on there side,tried to do a little tuning on it and just made it worse.
Is there cap size specific cappers?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Here's a picture of the Plains rifle.
View attachment 125008
View attachment 125009
Polishcappers.com has a couple of nice ones i have the larger one that holds 100 caps. One handed capping works with pistols too.

I really like my Polish Capper.
You can place and set the cap with it, rather than needing to set the cap separately.
It's a copy of an original style from a long time ago.
Universal capper made by Polish Cappers model PCC for over 150 percussion caps. | Cappers | Polish Cappers universal capper model PCC
I'm with you Brazos John,
I also bought the polish capper 2-3 years ago & it beats numerous types I've tried over past 5 decades.
The loading tab even works with my 58 Remington revolvers & has enough thickness to firmly seat caps without bending.
Hope the Russians don't decide to try & steal Poland again & terminate the seller's business.
relic shooter

Makes sense to me.
Very few soldiers loaded from loose powder and ball. Ammo was mostly prepackaged in paper cartridges complete with percussion caps in the package contains the rounds. In the case of revolver rounds 7 caps to a six round paper parcel with a zip string for opening the package.

Or so I’ve read.

If you mean Civil War soldiers they had muskets.
I took my 1862 Springfield musket to the range today… it uses four-wing musket caps which are a lot bigger than the 10s and 11s we use today.
Though bigger, I imagine they were still a pain to fumble with, especially while under fire!

The traditional way to carry caps is in a hard leather belt pouch with flap , It certainly is for the Military , or in a small horn with a bung , or a cap box on the firearms stock .. The thing about winged musket caps is they are easy to handle in the stress of a battle , sailors hated the winged caps because they ran about in bare feet and the used caps hurt when trod on .

I really like my Polish Capper.
I'd be interested, but I'm just really put off by all the BS in the "We care about your privacy" statement that you have to agree to in order to access their site. It ends up forcing you to agree to their preferred access to your personal data, but then says you can alter this by "changes to the settings of the web browser, which you are currently using". In short, it puts on YOU the responsibility (and required knowledge) to avoid their default use of YOUR data.

No thanks. When places do this (particularly non-US sites), I just pass. If you look at the site data via who.is, virtually everything is GDPR masked. But if you're comfortable with this, then go for it. We each have our own limits on web security.

We each have our own limits on web security.
I try to play along with the system. I use a very major credit card for these purchases, so I have their mountain of lawyers just looking for some way to justify their hours. This is the only overseas company that I have used, and have had no issues resulting from the transaction. YMMV.

I try to play along with the system. I use a very major credit card for these purchases, so I have their mountain of lawyers just looking for some way to justify their hours.
I have no idea what you're trying to express here. Sorry. But you seem comfortable with what you're doing, and I have no complaint or criticism of that. :)

Latest posts

Back