• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need information on Lyman Nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverfox

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Would like to know what is or would be the problem with using a Nipple in a Lyman when the package the nipple is in states 6.75 for import, cabellas etc. Then at the bottom it states will not fit Lyman rifles.
This came up at the range last week. One was put in a Lyman and seemed to work very well. The only difference I could see was the nipple was about 1/32 longer than the factory nipple. Would this make a difference. Or is there something else wrong like a larger flash hole. Which could make your hammer fly back but it didn't in this case.
If it's a real no no I would like to advise a couple of shooters before they have problems.
Fox :hatsoff:

If it fits, I don't think 1/32 long will cause any problem. Sometimes when buying nipples I have found diffrent brands are diffrent lenghts.If the threads size is right and it goes bang go for it.

These were Hotshot nipples and did have larger holes than factory. They said they were faster ignition and at $3 each I had told them to go ahead. My worry was if it would bother the internal works of the lock by having a shorter throw, but it seems the only problem would have been interference with capping if the hammer was too close to the nipple. That doesn't seem to be a problem.
So Lyman shooters there are HOTSHOTs out there that will fit your rifles even if the brochure says they won't.
Thanks and good luck
Fox :thumbsup:

As far as hotshot nipples I see no need for them if Black powder is used. My Investment Arms came with a musket nipple. But the guy I bought it from was using pellets. I switched to regular nipple and use BP. No miss fires as of yet. :)

My GPR is 13 years old and still on the factory nipple. No need to change. Watch nipple heights, you can tell if it's to long after 1 shot. Examine the cap, it'll show what's getting hit and what isn't. You want that cap getting hit solidly, not off to the side.

Lyman percussion locks do have a low half-cock position, which is a good thing so long as the hammer does not contact the cap. Many locks use the same tumbler and sear for both flint and percussion which places the hammer quite high at half-cock. That increased the danger that the gun could fire if the hammer should drop from half-cock. A low hammer position is preferable but if you substitute a longer nipple you need to be sure there still is some clearance between hammer and cap while applying downward pressure on the hammer to take up any slack or "play" in the lock.

Back