• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help with Accuracyhank

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welchman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Pedersoli Model 310 Standard Kentucky Pistol flint 50 Cal.
Let me say I’m quite impressed with Pedersoli’s quality and workmanship. I’m having problems getting any type of group. Using a either my cast or Hornady .490 RB it’s a bear to set the RB in the barrel I’ve used .010 and .015 patches spit and Ox-Yoke Wonder patch. I’ve tried loads 25, 50 and 70 grains of FFF Goex Powder and accuracy is about the same. I’m not blowing out the patches. I going to try the following .005 patches, .480 RD and going to FF powder. I’ve shot a patched .440 RD and get basically the same accuracy. Something else I’ve noticed is the lock time is fast but it seems like more lag time until ignition of the BP maybe I need to rim out the flash hole a little? You guys have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Welchman

any charge past ,say, around 40 gr is just being blown out the barrel. being a pistol if it was me I would use fairly loose ball/patch combo for sake of fast reload.

I have a Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol in .50 cal. Like your's mine is very hard to load. I shoot an over powder wad and .010 patches and it shoots quite well. I just wish they had bored the barrel about .005 bigger.
Old Charlie

Maybe try a conical slug in it?

My .45 pistols shoot the 250 TC maxi's really well and they load easier than a PRB too.

Skillet

try a light charge, say 15 to 20gr of 3F, for turds and giggles!
works for me in a capper...17gr 3F, getting 3" groups repeatedly to 35 yds...
trigger pull and grip has alot to do with it on these.
How stiff is your trigger?

I'll try a lighter load and the Maxi's. I'm a RB shooter but will be interesting seeing how the Maxi's shoot.

The trigger breaks real good. This Ky pistol has a different grip over modern handgun. I shoot a lot of big bores 41 mag. up and consider myself a good shot and shooting this KY was quite frustrating.

Welchman

Shooting from a rest is about the only consistent way to find an accurate load. I would think somewhere between 15-30gns of 3Fg should find you a decent load. My only percussion single shot pistol is a .33 Hege-Siber & I use 22gns of 3Fg with a 00 buckshot ball & a .018" teflon patch. It's a bit tight to start but a wooden mallet & short starter do the trick! Once past the muzzle it loads just fine. I'm strictly a target shooter so getting the best accuracy is a priority over ease of loading.
When it comes to shooting off-hand, getting a good CONSISTENT grip is a huge part of it, along with CONSISTENT foot position. It took me a while to find a repeatable grip with the Siber, but once I did it's a tackdriver. I also have a Pedersoli Mortimer (flint/smoothbore) that has the sawhandle grip, I find it is much easier to get a consistent grip with it than the Siber.

I would suggest that you increase the size of the vent by running a 1/16 inch diameter drill thru it.

Most of the factory flintlocks come with a very small vent and that will slow down the ignition a great deal.
Also, with each shot make a mental note to yourself to hold on target for at least a full second after the gun has fired. Shooters who are used to modern arms get into the habit of holding on target until the hammer falls and this can sneak into their sub-conscious mind and carry over to shooting a flintlock.

Back