• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Double Barrel Percussion i.d. Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was over at my soon to be son in laws house and he pulls out this old double barrel. He is hoping someone can id his late grandpas old double barrel percussion wall hanger. The gun was falling apart, so I made a temp barrel key and put a pin in the trigger set. At least now it doesn’t fall apart, risking further damage and he can hang it back on the wall, plus he can shoulder it now! I don’t think its anything particularly rare, historically or monetarily valuable, NOT that any of that matters, but it has ALOT of sentimental value and one day will pass on to his children. It appears to be a production gun because of the motif on the butt plate? I did have my micrometer there but appears to be 20ga’ish. The locks are missing unfortunately and I can’t really see any markings and did not want to go scouring the guns rightfully earned patina. He would love to get it firing again, if only blank charges but I think that’s a little ambitious. The barrel bores are rusty but did respond well to a brush in my drill. Would probably clean up decent with a hone. Would be cool to know what this is.
6FC0EDDA-607A-4FA1-A8E4-F488B5E87D64.jpeg
FF63F684-FC1D-4EF7-9608-3D0301DDF238.jpeg

Last edited:
It had a short ramrod that wouldn’t reach the bottom. I put in a new ram rod and found one barrel short by about 2”. Changed my whole out look, lol. Immediately considered it was loaded and used a ball puller jag but it deformed the tip like something hardened was in there but after a couple tries I could here something ratting inside. Intrigued by this, I just pointed it down and started gently tapping on the side of the barrel with a rubber mallet and after a couple minutes, three large pieces of gravel fell out. No telling how long it had been in there, probably kids from long ago dropped them down the barrel playing around. I’ve confirm now the rod goes down to the breech of each barrel now, so it’s safe.

Just a speculation on my part but judging from the butt plate I am thinking a late 1800's to early 1900's manufactured shotgun. Parker, LC Smith or a similar brand. Must be some markings on it and hopefully a serial number. LC's had the serial number on most of the parts. Too bad the locks are missing. I googled for antique shotgun butt plates but no exact match. Some were close. Good luck.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I hate the locks are missing. :(I’ll check again under the barrels also. There was a lot of rust (patina, lol) that could be covering more info. I’ll try oiling first to see what I can uncover but at least this gives me some mfg’s and time line. Thanks again.

It looks to be a typical Belgian product. A functional relatively inexpensive gun sold in hardware stores and by mail-order houses. The retriever on the butt plate was a fairy common motif and doesn't really tell us anything. The real giveaway is the checkering, it is very shallow, looks pressed in. The checkering on a quality gun would be cut and much deeper. If you clean the underside of the barrels near the breech you will probably find some proofs and other markings.

Back