• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying a heavy barrel target rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
'afternoon,

I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me identify the maker. I know it's a long shot... I purchased the rifle off Auction Arms about a year ago. It needed more TLC than the ad indicated, but the price was right. It mics at about .56, and the fittings are German silver. It has a hooked breech. There are no visible markings on the lock, barrel or breech.

Jim at Fort Chambers did a wonderful job on browning the barrel (prior owner had taken it down to the white) and correcting the majority of the flaws, including installing the sights (the original rear was mangled, although it doesn't show in the photos).

First time out, everything was perfect, although I'm having trouble narrowing down where it's hitting - even with the sight at the lowest setting, it's high. 4" at 25 yards; 12" at 50 yards; 18-20" at 100 yards.

Second and third time out, I had a couple of misfires as it slipped off of full cock. I hadn't pulled the lock after the first time, so I thought something might have gotten on the sear. Nothing, but I cleaned it prior to the third trip. It doesn't slip every shot, but even once is enough to make me nervous.

I should point out that it is not a set trigger assembly. Rather, it is a target trigger assembly. No adjustment, and the rear trigger must be pulled or it will not go into full cock. From what I've read, this was popular among target shooters in the 19th century.

The rifle weighs in at 19 pounds. My gut feeling is that at least the barrel could be an original period piece, possibly the whole rifle. But I'm not sure, so I didn't put it in that category.

These photos are from the original ad: http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/calum1861/library/Heavy - pre-work

These are some detail photos of the lock, etc: http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/calum1861/library/Heavy - detail
One of the photos shows a slot in the tang. Any idea what this might be for?

Thanks,
Calum

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you that some/most of it could be original.

It looks like many of this style that came from New York or Massachusetts in the mid/late 1850's.

Graham,

That's what got me originally. It highly resembles some of the drawings/photos that I've seen of rifles used by Berdan's Sharpshooters. Many of which were from the NE states.

And the style of rifling. I don't have a huge amount of experience, but I've never seen anything that deep on a modern production.

Thanks,
Calum

Nice looking rifle, are you shooting roundball or conicals? Do you know the twist rate of the rifling?
I think the slot at the upper end of the top tang is where the original rear sight fitted, something similar to the one in the photo below, though this one is attached to the barrel flat the one on yours would have look about the same, albeit shorter.

Long%20Bar%20peep_zpsenxry3pv.jpg

The Lyman-type tang sight currently on yours is of a later period (c.1870s - 1890s).

I would say that the rifle's entirely original, due to the style of rifling, and the false muzzle, which should be recessed on the bore side for the correct patch size (didja also get it's inline bullet-starter tool ?).

IMO, it looks like the target rifles once made by L.W.Tisdel (Scranton, PA).

That larger bore was in favor by Southern target shooters (Kentucky,Tennesee, & the Carolina's), with NY & New England shooters preferring bores from .28 to.45 caliber.

There's reams of information, about the construction & shooting of those rifles, in Ned Robert's book "The Muzzle-Loading Caplock Rifle".

'morning,

Arquebus - thanks for the photo! I've not seen that style sight before. Interesting. Yup, I know the sights on mine are later. I admit to going for a bit of cost expediency, figuring I could always upgrade later. What I'm really hoping to find is a correct mount for a scope. Reproduction Malcolm scopes are available, but not the correct mounts.

I'm currently shooting patched roundball. Unfortunately I don't know the twist rate. I keep meaning to check it when I clean it, and...it slips my mind.

Pete44ru - yup, the false muzzle does have a slightly recessed crown. It shows somewhat in one of the "pre-work" photos, but not very clearly. And the sight block also is a wonderful reminder to remove the false muzzle before firing. :)

Nope, nothing other than the rifle, false muzzle and ramrod came with it. I use a short starter, and don't remove the false muzzle until the ball is completely seated and rod is out.

I'll have to look up that book - thanks for the info!

Thanks for the continued assistance!
Calum

Back