• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Guidance on Damaged Cherry Corners Lock Hammer on Older Contemporary Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I picked-up an old contemporary custom built Hawken, and it was damaged in shipment to my house. Essentially, the box was dropped or crushed to the point the hammer broke through the packaging and ended up getting bent and cracked. After disassembly, I was able to determine the lock was made by Cherry Corners who has been out of business for the past 46 years. I know they were purchased by Ithaca who used the Cherry Corners lock designs in their Hawken offering for years, but they are no longer made either. The hammer seems to have a throw of ~1.712 inches, and I just do not see other hammers out there with a similar throw (1 5/8 or 1 3/4 are the closest I've seen). My questions would be:
1) Do you recommend I try to bend this back to proper form and have the hammer welded, and it so should I temper the hammer after welding?
2) Does anyone know where I can pick-up an old Cherry Corners lock or replacement hammer?
3) Does anyone recognize the builder (initials B.C.B.)?

Any other suggestions welcome.
Damaged hammer.jpg
bent hammer.jpg
Hawken rt side.jpeg
lock maker.jpg
maker mark.jpg

Your lock looks real similar to what is on a Santa Fe Hawken by Uberti that I have. Not that they’re any easier to find parts for. If you can’t find a hammer, I’d get that welded up, shaped, then rehardened. It may work out just fine.

Your lock looks real similar to what is on a Santa Fe Hawken by Uberti that I have. Not that they’re any easier to find parts for. If you can’t find a hammer, I’d get that welded up, shaped, then rehardened. It may work out just fine.
I had hear that Uberti used the Cherry Corners lock as a pattern, but I have not seen one of their hammers to know one way or the other. Any chance you could measure the throw on your rifle?

Cherry Corners Gunsmithing was owned by Bud Brown in Lodi OH. He developed his Hawken parts in the late '60's or early '70's and sold them for years. He did this as a sideline to his gunsmithing business. He was a darned good one, and performed the majority of Smith and Wesson's warranty work well into the 1980's. Bud tired of the Hawken stuff and sold his tooling years before I knew him but he had parts displayed on the wall of his shop. The Log Cabin Shop (just a few miles away) sold a lot of his parts, though I doubt they have any left. You could send the hammer to them though and their gunsmith can weld the crack and repair it at reasonable cost. Your rifle was likely made by Bud Brown at his shop, though I can't be sure. He could be a bit irascible and sometimes rubbed people the wrong way but he was an outstanding gunsmith and I got along well with him.

Cherry Corners Gunsmithing was owned by Bud Brown in Lodi OH. He developed his Hawken parts in the late '60's or early '70's and sold them for years. He did this as a sideline to his gunsmithing business. He was a darned good one, and performed the majority of Smith and Wesson's warranty work well into the 1980's. Bud tired of the Hawken stuff and sold his tooling years before I knew him but he had parts displayed on the wall of his shop. The Log Cabin Shop (just a few miles away) sold a lot of his parts, though I doubt they have any left. You could send the hammer to them though and their gunsmith can weld the crack and repair it at reasonable cost. Your rifle was likely made by Bud Brown at his shop, though I can't be sure. He could be a bit irascible and sometimes rubbed people the wrong way but he was an outstanding gunsmith and I got along well with him.
Thanks for the information! Is Bud still around? I'll reach out to the Log Cabin Shop as well.

Thanks for the information! Is Bud still around? I'll reach out to the Log Cabin Shop as well.
No, Bud passed away years ago.

I was able to pick up my Sante Fe Hawken last summer on the way back from NC. Shortly before that, I had a gun I sold and packed well, destroyed in transit as well as one delivered with a crack in the stock. I'm not very trusting of shippers anymore.

Here is what I send out to folks sending me a gun:

The following instructions are due to receiving damaged goods* from another member for which I had to file a claim. The gun looked brand new (except for the damage) so the collectible value was ruined. They were a Gun Shop so you’d have expected it to be packaged better. I’ve also received others that were shipped similarly but surprisingly those arrived safely.

Please wrap the item in bubble wrap if you have it or at least several layers of newspaper, brown paper, etc. Double wrap or reinforce the lock area (including the hammer/cock) please.

Make sure the box is big enough so the item does not touch the sides. Please fill the empty cavity and ends with newspaper, paper shredder waste, etc. so that it can’t rattle and break through the box. I really hate packing popcorn but if that’s all you have then go ahead and use it.

Lastly, please insure the item for the payment including shipping, or (whatever the total is). That way if it’s destroyed in transit, I can recoup ALL my funds.

Acknowledgment of receipt of this email would be greatly appreciated.

* The gun referenced was a pristine unfired T/C 54 cal Renegade that had been spiral wrapped in brown paper and left to rattle around in the box all the way to my home. IT WAS SOLD AND SHIPPED BY A GUN SHOP! You'd think they'd have known better. The toe broke through the box and cracked. I obtained a repair estimate from my local gun shop for $75. I fixed the stock myself and relisted the item for $75 less than I paid as that's what the Post Office paid me for the damage.

Walt

Back