• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need for Overpowder Card?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few months ago I had posted a question asking for help in patterning my first smoothbore. I've never used shotguns in my life, so I have zero knowledge of shot patterns other than I knew I wasn't happy with what I was getting despite trying many things.

Your responses were extremely helpful narrowing the pattern and reducing haloing to what I think will be a better pattern for kill potential on small game.

Now that big game season is done, I was back working to refine the pattern even more. One thing that seemed to improve the pattern significantly at "squirrel" ranges was to dispense with the over-powder card altogether and just use a 1/4" of lubed fibre wad. No one had suggested that and I'm wondering if there is any issue with not using an overpowder card (except that perhaps lube from the wad would contaminate the powder?) If anyone has thoughts on this, please advise.

Here's a picture of the gun on it's first small-game hunt yesterday. Saw lots of squirrel sign, but they must have all been sleeping while I was out as I didn't see any. It's a 20 GA Sitting Fox Colonial Fowler.

Smoothbore1stHunt.jpg

The only time I've seen a benefit from overpowder cards is in guns with fiber wads that were too loose. And the card only made a difference if it was good and tight.

The point being, I think, to keep powder gases from blowing up through the shot column one way or another.

You've solved it already.

I use them, and I guess the purpose is to keep the lubed wad off the powder - if you lube the wad. I have gone "primative" and loaded with only tow or wasps nest and that works - no cards at all - though the material over the shot does tend to "hole" the pattern more than the overshot card system.

Lets just say that if I ran out of overpowder cards I wouldn't fret much, but would drop the wads down with the most lubed wad portion facing up.

I just use lubed wads...depending on the gauge and game I'm after, I use either:

A pair of 1/8" Oxyoke prelubed wool wads;
OR
A 1/2" Circle Fly lubed Cushion Wad;

Great looking smoothbore there too !
:thumbsup:

What I find that works for me with my 24ga and 28ga is a thin overshot card over the powder then lubed 1/8" wool wads, shot,overshot card. I don't use the thick overpowder wads or the fiber wads. This eliminated the donutholes in my patterns.

Whatever works for you is what you should go with. Nothings written in stone.

Rifleman1776 said:
I have had lubed fiber wads contaminate the powder. IMHO, an overpowder card is a must.

Why not use a thin over shot card rather than a 1/4" card wad over the powder? It would seem to perform the function of protecting the powder from lube. Being light weight it would be less prone to put holes in the shot pattern and eliminates one more thing you would need to carry in the field.

Snow

Snow on the Roof said:
Rifleman1776 said:
I have had lubed fiber wads contaminate the powder. IMHO, an overpowder card is a must.

Why not use a thin over shot card rather than a 1/4" card wad over the powder? It would seem to perform the function of protecting the powder from lube. Being light weight it would be less prone to put holes in the shot pattern and eliminates one more thing you would need to carry in the field.

Snow

I didn't say what kind of cards I use.
For the recore, I use thinnies.

when I load up my BPC brass shotshells I use an OSC dipped in melted wax in between the powder and lubed cushion wad to protect the powder. It works.

To test it I put a box of them in my truck, sitting out in the sun for a week and then pulled them apart. There was virtually no powder contamination. Not very scientific, I know, but it was still a test.

I used the factory lubed circle fly wads.

Rifleman1776 said:
Snow on the Roof said:
Rifleman1776 said:

Snow

I didn't say what kind of cards I use.
For the recore, I use thinnies.

My apology. When you said an "over powder card" I made the assumption of a normal 1/4" card wad. I should know better than to "assume" anything here.

Snow

I use only the over shot cards and the circle fly lubed wads. One over the powder, wad, shot, one over shot card. I've never found any benefit to using the thick, hard over powder cards. Just one more thing to carry and keep straight.

Back