• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Neck Knives let's see um

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntinfool

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like to see the neck knives you guys wear and use.

I don't care what time period they do or do not fit in. I'd just like to see them all and hear about how useful they are.

Chuck

Here's my latest and greatest. Picture doesn't do it justice. It's a Billy Watson knife. Wouldn't trade it for love nor money. Handiest patch knife I've ever used.

BillyWatsonknife.jpg

This is what I call a "dink around" project. I had a blade and just kept dinking with it until I had something.

razneck.jpg

The blade is out of an old straight razor. I trimmed the finger tang off of the blade and set it in the tip of an elk antler. The blade is set in the antler with lead making a very secure handle.

The blade is 2 3/4 inches and the total length is 6 1/4 inches.

The sheath is a rawhide sleeve wrapped in thin vegetable tanned leather. Buffalo sinew wrap around the throat of the sheath.

Copper beads, bone hair pipes and brain tanned buckskin fringe on the sheath.

That blade is so sharp you will cut your eye just looking at that edge.

Joe Yanta

The lowest one in this group is a Helle Polar with a neck sheath. 2-3/4" blade, sharp as can be. The trade beads are Dutch for the African trade ("cinnamon" color with white edged black stripes). It's actually my favorite deer dressing knife. The sheath is shaped a little odd. I made the inner sheath out of boiled pigskin just large enough to cover the blade and the outer sheath is black goatskin and runs halfway up the handle. The resulting sheath is thin, but protects the blade from my chest. (Or, was it the other way around?) It has little "ears" for attaching the sinew threaded beads on either side so it rides flat to my chest.

Sharp.jpg

Not really a neck knife, but it rides in the same place, is the 3-1/2" blade I have attached to my horn strap. Very handy.
Patchknife.jpg

Here is my patch knife. I use it to slice fruit, and it looks good around my neck. My daughter made and beaded the sheath. Good daughter.

WB

PatchKnife.jpg

Chuck, Here's a couple of the smaller knives I've made. I don't carry them around my neck, but they would definitely work fine for that. I carry them in my haversack or pouch. I am planning to make some neck sheaths when time permits. These knives are forged out of L6 and 5160 spring steel. Seems to hold a good edge.

Curt

aDSCF0509.jpg

Here's a knife I made from a trap spring. The sheath is dye stained rawhide. It's a good size for a neck knife.

Rawhide-sheath.jpg

trap%20spring%20knife.JPG

Joe,
Looks very functional and i would guess very
reasonable($$$$) to put together. Good job.
snake-eyes :applause:

Deadeye,
I am a sucker for patch knives and neck sheaths,
and you have both. Nice!
snake-eyes
Huntinfool,
:thanks: for this post i love the pictures,
hope to see more...

Here is a Bigger Neck Knife I made....6 inch blade...foged from 1095 high carbon steel...some filework..Wild cherry handle...Handstitched sheath...
Matt
6inchneck.jpg

Here is the only one I have made it myself, well put together you'd say, I got the blade wich is one of the laminated Swede blade's 3.5" gets a nice edge hair will come off your arm stiched up the sheath out of some scap leather looks rustic any how. :front:
Scan133July112005.jpg

Hey ML nice knife I have admired your blades for a while now you always make something I like :front:

Latest posts

Back