• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Model 1851 44 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbcm

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Trying to ID a Navy Mod. 1851. It has a XX9 on it. It has a PN on it with a circle over it. It has crossed swords with a cirle over it. #24477 on the frame and #477 on the barrell. Made in Italy.

Welcome to the forum. :)

the XX9 indicates it was proof tested in 1973.
The other two marks are the Italian proof stamps.

24477 is the serial number and the fact that the number 477 is on the barrel indicates this is the original barrel.

I can't say who made your pistol because all of the Italian companies must have their guns proof tested.

There are sometimes other markings on Italian reproduction pistols that indicate the makers company.

One that looks like a rifled barrel with a capital U in the center is Uberti.

A palm tree in a circle indicates Palmetto.

FAP indicates the gun was made by F.LLI Pietta.

You didn't indicate whether your gun has a brass or a steel frame. Almost all have brass trigger guards and grip backstraps but I am speaking of the frame or receiver of the gun.

My reason for asking is that generally speaking the brass framed guns are not as strong and most people recommend using somewhat smaller powder charges in them.

I suppose I also should point out that the original Colt 1851 was a .36 caliber gun.
That's not bad mouthing your gun as the .44 caliber guns are, in my opinion, more fun to shoot.

If you do shoot it, don't be surprised if it shoots high. Most of the Cap & Ball pistols do.

I hope this helps answer your question. :)

Back