• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tc45dave

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought my first Zouave. Overall it is in excellent condition with a bright and shiny barrel. The front sight has been filed down so it must have been shot previously. It was made in 1974. My RWS musket caps fit loose on the nipple so I'm going to try a new nipple from Track of the Wolf or from the Log Cabin Shop. I'm going to buy Minie balls from the Log Cabin Shop next week, then head to the range when it warms up.

Attachments

• Zouave resized 1024.jpg
    Zouave resized 1024.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 6
Bought my first Zouave. Overall it is in excellent condition with a bright and shiny barrel. The front sight has been filed down so it must have been shot previously. It was made in 1974. My RWS musket caps fit loose on the nipple so I'm going to try a new nipple from Track of the Wolf or from the Log Cabin Shop. I'm going to buy Minie balls from the Log Cabin Shop next week, then head to the range when it warms up.

Get your minies from Lodgewood. They know minies and the guy casting for them is a N-SSA competition shooter. I don't recommend any other commercial source.

For parts for military type guns, there's only a couple reliable sources- Lodgewood, S&S, DixieGW. The others are round ballers.

I'm going order 100 Minies from Lodgewood this week. 100 is his minimum order. I'm getting .575" Lyman Minies in 2 different styles. Depending on how they fit into the bore, I may or may not need to buy a Lee Sizing Kit for $50.

www.lodgewood.com/Bullets_c_7.html

I have 2 different Minie Balls to try at the range. Made by Pat Kaboskey. On the left are, 575494 (.575") and on the right 575213AV.
Minie Balls for forum.jpg

Did you measure your bore? Most "Zouaves" I've seen were in the .580 range.

The Minie balls insert easily with no play. A .575 Pin Gauge won't insert but a .574 Pin Gauge will. I hope to shoot these this weekend.

The Minie balls insert easily with no play. A .575 Pin Gauge won't insert but a .574 Pin Gauge will. I hope to shoot these this weekend.
If you can find the Lee wadcutter minie ball your gun should shoot well. My nephew and I both have zouaves and we don't know why we would bother to shoot any other minie. They work well with pyrodex and black. The mold is hard to find. I believe it is #90475

i use roundballs with number 11 nipples ..best accuracy yet. I tried hollow base bullets lighter ones and they werent as accurate as the R.B. all with 60 grains..both roundballs and conicals.

I love my Antonio Zoli zouave imported by Navy arms! I generally shoot it with patched round ball along with 80 to 90 grains of double f and I use the number 10 nipple that comes in the patch box with most of these fine shooters

Attachments

• 0918221206.jpg
    0918221206.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 0918221206a.jpg
    0918221206a.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 0918221206b.jpg
    0918221206b.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
We use a set of "Zouaves" in our work with Scouts and here's what I shot with one of them when we were setting them up for a 50yd zero. Group is 10 shots fired offhand, rapid fire. Note that this wasn't a load looking for Nth degree accuracy, it's a load we can shoot without wiping all day.

IMG_20190615_132026.jpg

We use a set of "Zouaves" in our work with Scouts and here's what I shot with one of them when we were setting them up for a 50yd zero. Group is 10 shots fired offhand, rapid fire. Note that this wasn't a load looking for Nth degree accuracy, it's a load we can shoot without wiping all day.

View attachment 213465
Very nice shooting! I would sure like to see a group you shot with that Zouave from the bench.

I finally shot Lyman 575494 Minie balls today at 50 yds. I was very happy with the group. I used 40 grs of Olde Eynsford 2f.
Target 50 yards 5 shots .575 inch.jpg

This is a bench group shot from one of the Scout "Zouaves".

View attachment 213694
Thank you for posting this impressive target dave951. Wish I could do half as well with my old kit-built Zouave.

I have two questions if you don't mind.
1. What is a "Korean" Zouave? I am not familiar with them.
2. Is your lube recipe of beeswax and lard a 50/50 ratio or something else?
Thanks for your time in responding.

Thank you for posting this impressive target dave951. Wish I could do half as well with my old kit-built Zouave.

I have two questions if you don't mind.
1. What is a "Korean" Zouave? I am not familiar with them.
2. Is your lube recipe of beeswax and lard a 50/50 ratio or something else?
Thanks for your time in responding.
There was a run of “Zouaves” made in S Korea and the quality was on par with the best Zolis. One small difference is the patent breech in the Korean ones, even so, they shoot rather well. They are easily identified because the barrels are stamped Korea.

The lube varies a bit based on season. Winter is 50/50 beeswax/lard+coconut oil. Summer months I up the beeswax to about 60%.

I once had a Zouave I bought from Navy Arms. I cast both round ball and 500 grn minies for it and used it quite a bit; it was fired a lot. Other than targets the only game I ever took with it was small game, squirrel, etc. I sold it after a few years for some reason or other. This left a hole in my battery that was only filled 20 years ago. I bought a beautiful US M1841 "Mississippi" rifle in the original .54 caliber. That good rifle loves prb and is accurate with the ball and it has killed deer. I didn't hunt with it very much due to it's 10-1/2 pounds. That is a heavy rifle to carry for anyone. I no longer hunt but I still have that fine rifle. The fit & finish is custom gun level and the stock is fine European walnut.

Back